·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Curious, what air pressure were you running? Also, were the hose ends cut cleanly or pinch cut with side cutters?
Not even sure about the pressure as we just turned the compressor on and the pressure regulating valve that came with it showed nothing because the air was leaking even before that right from the compressor to the connector for the airline. Also, I cut the line with a box cutter but read in one place to cut it on a 45 degree angle and another place to cut it straight so I cut is straight - could that have been the problem ? Should it have been on an angle ?

·
Registered
328 Posts
The poly connectors are leaking? The poly tubing should be cut clean and square. If the metal quick connection is leaking, change the female connector on the air compressor to a universal. The two main types are industrial and automotive, and though one will fit in the other, they will not seal. I purchased a prop from FrightProps and I had a similar compatibility issue with the connector they supplied. I changed to a universal and everything is fine now.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The poly connectors are leaking? The poly tubing should be cut clean and square. If the metal quick connection is leaking, change the female connector on the air compressor to a universal. The two main types are industrial and automotive, and though one will fit in the other, they will not seal. I purchased a prop from FrightProps and I had a similar compatibility issue with the connector they supplied. I changed to a universal and everything is fine now.
Okay thanks, I will try that. I just assumed the fittings would all go together. I will buy a universal and see if that solves the problem. I cut the poly hose straight with a box cutter so I can't imagine that is the issue but who knows. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone have a good link for a universal connector for an air compressor? All I have found on line specify male or female ..... I have a Campbell Hausfeld compressor if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I use this female safety coupler for my air hose which then connects to the Frightprops coupler. They sell them at Home Depot at the air fittings section.

0acfd9af-97bd-402a-b5b6-20b0273d18f8_1000.jpg

Anyone have a good link for a universal connector for an air compressor? All I have found on line specify male or female ..... I have a Campbell Hausfeld compressor if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Man there is so many different air fittings when it comes to air compressors it's not even funny. Most home compressors (that I've seen anyways) use a 3/8" single short barb male & female fitting. When you go to lowes or Home Depot- most on the shelves are 1/4" fittings but yet most of their compressors there use a 3/8" fitting but go figure. If you go to a automotive store then you have even more possibilities. I prefer the 3/8" double barb long fittings as the single barb fittings tend to leak after a year or so.

But back to your issue, fright props probably sent you a 3/8" double barb fitting that you are mating up to a single barb fitting thus equals air leaking excessively. If all else fails, take the fitting that frightprops sent you and go to napa. They have people that understand it and will get you straight.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advice, I will take my fittings and see what I can do and try again to get it working once I get everything packed up.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
You mentioned in the first post that air was leaking in several locations. That tells me that you're having issues with the poly push-in fittings. As mentioned, the poly should be cut square and cleanly. Push the poly firmly into the fitting as far as it will go. Maybe you aren't pushing it in far enough.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is quite possible being my first kick at the can but I can't even get the poly tubing out so not sure. I will mess with it in a couple days when I have a chance to see if I can figure it out.

QUOTE=J-Man;2064841]You mentioned in the first post that air was leaking in several locations. That tells me that you're having issues with the poly push-in fittings. As mentioned, the poly should be cut square and cleanly. Push the poly firmly into the fitting as far as it will go. Maybe you aren't pushing it in far enough.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
328 Posts
Universal couplers are common. You ought to be able to find a brass one at home depot for a few dollars.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Better off going to harbor freight and picking up a 5 piece kit. Comes with

3 threaded outside male
1 threaded inside male
1 threaded inside female

You know they will fit. I can tell by looking down a quick connect which is which but you may not. All fittings "feel" like they fit but don't.

You would remove the threaded inside male from the 1/4 poly connect, insert the purchased one and refit the 1/4 poly quick connect. Threaded inside female goes on your compressor. You can use the other three to branch to other props(buy a 1/4 T pipe fitting). I run my whole haunt (20 pneumatics) with 1/4 hose. I use 1/4 unions, T, and Y connecters which is easier. The 1/4 T pipe isnt bad to use starting out but get out of the habit quick. Much easier having 1/4 hose then 3/8 everywhere(more expensive as well).

Simple Overlooked Things

Don't forget something as simple as putting tephlon tape on your fittings. Some quick connects have them, some do not. Apply tape clockwise threads pointed up.

Sometimes the hose isn't pushed all the way as well or cut poorly. Cut it straight, no angles. Something overlooked.

Tighten your fittings, a simple extra amount of torque will produce a better fit.

Leaks are easily fixed just do one at a time.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
That is quite possible being my first kick at the can but I can't even get the poly tubing out so not sure. I will mess with it in a couple days when I have a chance to see if I can figure it out.
To remove the tubing from the fitting, use one hand to push the outer ring tightly inward and the other hand to pull out the tubing.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the tips everyone. I will try it all when I get a day off work and report back in case I still have problems. Appreciate the help as I want to run several pneumatics next year if I can get this one out of the way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts