Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well since i got great help and ideas to build the fence from you guys :) , i am done buildng my new picket fence for the haunt this year , now i would like some painting thecnique help and suggestion to make it look old .....

i need to paint this (base coat with the paint gun or i'll still be painting it by halloween LOL , so here is what i was thinging white base coat then dry brush some grey (pale and darker ) on it at certain places then go over with a little white ? but i am affraid it will still look too spic and span white ?

any suggestion ? (i do want it white but looking like the paint as wear off and usually old wood is greyish so )

any suggestion would be apreciated :)

thanks

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,778 Posts
when I bought this fence, it was a very flat white, almost looked watered down. I think using a really thin coat would let more of the grain show through. All I did was use a quart of some $1 putrid green mismatch I bought from home depot (mixed with a little black) . I applied it very randomly (and hastily) with a sponge to both sides of the fence. In the end, it took on the illusion of a white fence with missing paint, rather than a white fence with splotches all over it. :D

I think using flat paint colors is key.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,279 Posts
Sounds good. :)

I would also suggest getting some brown and greenish paint. Lightly sponge both in random areas after your white/gray is dry to get a dirty, old fence look.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts