Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm putting together a cheap wooden fence using 1"x 2"'s and some free pallet wood, however the ground is much too hard to drive any stakes into. I'm wondering if there was something I could do to get my fence to stand without the use of stakes? I'm not very handy and only have limited funds but if someone could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Put a "T" on the areas that should go into the ground. If you have two T's on the bottom that are perpendicular to the fence section it will hold the fence up. You can always hide the T's with dirt, Spanish moss or something else to create the illusion that the fence is going into the ground. I hope this makes sense??

·
Registered
854 Posts
Your best bet (I think) is rebar. Not knowing exactly what your fence looks like, I can't go into detail on quite how to use it. Can you post a pic on what a section looks like?
HM

·
Registered
142 Posts
Clay soil here, so I can sympathize. I use and auger bit in my cordless drill to make holes. Pounding rebar into clay compacts it and creates a sort of suction that makes removal almost impossible. My yard is littered with "cut off and pounded the rest of the way in" lengths of rebar I couldn't pull out. Drilling solves that problem. I pity anyone combing my yard with a metal detector :)

Here's a link to a set of 5 bits that should cover all sizes rebar and PVC. All the big box hardware stores have them also. Just choose one a little smaller than your rebar. I have mostly 3/8 rebar so use a 5/16 bit.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-16-inch-sds-masonry-bit-set-46755.html

·
Registered
471 Posts
My yard is littered with "cut off and pounded the rest of the way in" lengths of rebar I couldn't pull out.
Removing rebar out of the ground whether it be clay or frozen is really easy with this trick - Take a pair of vise grips , clamp on and rotate the stake a couple of turns, it will then slip right out with minimal effort. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Removing rebar out of the ground whether it be clay or frozen is really easy with this trick - Take a pair of vise grips , clamp on and rotate the stake a couple of turns, it will then slip right out with minimal effort. :)
Thanks, Ill give that a shot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts