Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! New here, but I've been creeping in the shadows for a while....
I'm needing some help with ideas. We have our big Halloween party every year and while the outside has come together nicely (projector playing old horror movie trailers, fire pit, graveyard scene, etc), the kitchen (where everyone ends up hanging out because of the food) always seems lacking in my opinion. Its a very white washed kitchen, counters and cabinets are white, and its not a huge space, but I want it to have some kind of theme that makes it not so much like a kitchen. Being as how this is a group of some of the most creative people I've run into, I'm sure someone can help me out. I'll try and add pictures later. Any ideas or help would greatly appreciated!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,681 Posts
The easiest things for a kitchen are to make it a witch/potion shop, butcher shop, or mad lab (or combo all three).

You'll need cheapy scene setters (thin plastic printed with background stuff), or check out the dollar stores (Tree or 99 cents) for super cheap purple, red or black plastic tablecloths. Cut them to fit over the cabinets and attach with the ticky tack or tape (just test first that it won't hurt your painted surfaces). I like to shred them sometimes to get a hanging tendril effect. Can also get cheapy burlap and shred it and attach it (in front of tablecloths) to the ceiling/walls. I use tiny pushpins myself but I have a popcorn textured ceiling so if you have a super smooth ceiling/walls, may want to get a small tube of caulk or touch up paint to repair any tiny holes if they are noticable from the floor (I can't see any when I do this, but if you don't want to put even tiny holes up in the tops of the walls, I get it... just use command strips or other non-damaging alternatives).

So then you need a few strings of eerie colored lights - I like green or purple, but you go with what you like. Tuck them back behind or under lighting for the cabinets and keep the main light off if possible (or cover with a shredded plastic tablecloth in red or purple so it casts a creepier light), use flicker lights, add in some creepy lamps. DO NOT PUT ANYTHING TOUCHING LIGHTBULBS that may get hot! Test your bulbs or else make sure there's space so the heat doesn't melt/burn up anything!

SPIDERS. SPIDERS EVERYWHERE.

And pick up weird bottles at thrift stores/any that are new like at CVS or Target, Walmart...and check out the craft section for "potion bottle labels" like this one: https://www.halloweenforum.com/threads/apothecary-jar-labels-tags-ideas.118238/

Arrange them on the counter with other interesting witch/laboratory items you may find that look nice and creepy.

Grab some random body parts like hands or feet from the dollar stores (usually can find a a variety at the Tree or 99 cent) and have a large pot or grill on the stovetop with them nicely arranged, skewer a few more of them and hang them from any baker's rack.

If you find some nice looking birds like ravens or owls, perch them around the tops of cabinets or on the fridge. Pose a nice skeleton up on there if you have room, or park one at a table to eat some tasty bone meal (there are SO MANY bone animals now, set him a nice arrangement with a plate, fork and dishes with a skull or spider/snake/bird skelly or whatever you can find...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hang fake candles like in the Harry Potter movies from the ceiling if you have high enough ceilings or witches hats or pumpkins or ghosts or spiders or a combination of all 5. Cobweb areas that won't be getting a lot of use, i.e pot racks, utensil holders, corners of the counters under the upper cabinets, or corners of the room. Get some Halloween dish towels. Get some skulls and turn them into utensil holders, flower vases, napkin holders or just to have hanging out on the counters. As Frankie's Girl suggested get some string lights and tack them up under your upper cabinets or up above your cabinets if they don't go all the way up to the ceiling or both.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,518 Posts
Don't underestimate the power of darkness and candles. You can still keep it simple, and get a decent effect with a few decorations placed about...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Does your party have a theme that you want to echo in the kitchen? Alternatively, are you leaning toward classic halloween, gory zombie-esque, or truly scary like the movie SAW?

If you have an empty wall, maybe park these guys along it (the coffin can be used like a cooler, or as a place for desserts or apps to sit).

I would look towards areas you could decorate without getting in the way of clean up post party. Creepy cloth on any curtains you have, add a few skeleton hands in the utensil crock, if your blender is out (and not being used for drinks) some eyeballs would be nice in there.

With a white kitchen your theme could veer towards OR - gone - wrong, or Bad Butcher Shop.

This sounds like so much fun :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Make sure you have some fake body parts in the fridge or wherever the beer is. Maybe a jar of eyeballs or something like that. My better half always makes a batch of jello-shots that glow under a black light (google for recipe) that while not decorations are always a hit with the TOTs of drinking age,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hang fake candles like in the Harry Potter movies from the ceiling if you have high enough ceilings or witches hats or pumpkins or ghosts or spiders or a combination of all 5.
This!! We thought about doing the floating candles, but my mind automatically goes to drunk people pulling them down to "see how they work"... but yeah, love the idea about the cheap table cloths and under cabinet lights. We try to make it where people don't go in the fridge and plunder (we have an inflatable pool set up outside full of ice for the beer/drinks). This would keep people out of the cabinets as well... drunk people like to plunder for some reason....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is so awesome.... if I didn't have to build fencing still this would be coming home today. And no theme really, with the graveyard outside I thought about doing a mortuary theme in the kitchen, covering the cabinets with faux "morgue drawers", but I don't think I'm gonna have the time this year. Maybe next!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
This!! We thought about doing the floating candles, but my mind automatically goes to drunk people pulling them down to "see how they work"... but yeah, love the idea about the cheap table cloths and under cabinet lights. We try to make it where people don't go in the fridge and plunder (we have an inflatable pool set up outside full of ice for the beer/drinks). This would keep people out of the cabinets as well... drunk people like to plunder for some reason....
LOL!! It sounds to me like you need a pirate theme in your kitchen, with all the plundering that goes on. ;)

I hope you can come up with something that will help set the right mood and you and your party guests have a great time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts