Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The thing under the bed
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, This year we are moving all of our clown stuff to the bathroom in order to keep things different. The wife "suggested" a Jack in the Box to sit in the corner. The box and the head are no problem as I have those or will make them. as this will be a static prop I am having difficulty with mounting the head. I dont want to mount it on a stiff mount and would like the head to sway around as people walk through. ( we live in an old woooden frame house so everything moves when people walk through) I am not sure how to build or what I could buy to use as a large spring. I think a spring type mount would get the desired effect but im clueless on what to use to make it. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. The only thing I can come up with is to take a dryer vent hose and remove the lining to get the spring but im not sure it will support the head. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Ubzest
1,249 Posts
if your just looking for 'spring-looking' and your actually attaching the head with something elce. you can just go to the dollar store and buy wire, Its always in a coil shape.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you can find an old couch or chair to tear apart the springs inside work really well. If you cant find any, I think I have a couple extra laying around I would be glad to send you if you pay for the postage.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Maybe a garage door assist spring or something similar might work.You need a spring that will be strong enough but still move.They should have springs at home depot or lowes or probably any good hardware store.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you know of any electricians in your area you could approach them, ask them if they have any heavy gauge wire that you could wrap around something to make your own spring. I have used copper since it is very flexible but the tighter you wind it, the stronger it can be. I would strip the wire of its casing, it will make it easier to manipulate. Then mount the head on the end. Depending how heavy your head is, double up the end of the wire so it is sturdy. Stab it through your head and voila...

·
The thing under the bed
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all, I think i can find an old couch or bed spring, I'll also look into the garage door spring. great ideas Thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts