Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I'm thinking of doing some kind of tribal, jungle, voodoo kind of thing. I downloaded some tribal drums awhile back and I can't get it out of my head! So that was my original inspiration.

My display is always in my front yard which is divided into two rectangles divided by the sidewalk going up to my front door. The smaller area has always been some kind of cemetery along the lines of whatever theme I was doing.

I'm interested in ideas for vignettes or scenes I could put together and if there is some kind of burial grounds I could work in. What kind of things could the characters (static) be doing? I don't want a lot of blood and gore, mostly the intent of something terrible to be done.

I've been collecting bamboo garden poles (thin ones only so far) and raffia, and will get a bunch of torches when I can find them. I know I'll need a bunch of skulls on stakes, but after that I'm at a loss, and I need your help! I was thinking of calling it "Tribal Terror" or something along those lines.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,394 Posts
Tribal Terror sounds awesome. I can't wait to see pictures. You are going to need lots of eerie green spot lights and maybe some kind of alter with a big boiling pot.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scatterbrains: I was just looking at a thread with UnOrthodOx's haunt. I do need him--where he be? And I was also looking at Terra's alway's cool stuff. And, hoping they don't mind, I would like to do some things based on what they have done.

yardhauntjunkie: Altar and boiling pot are great! Who (or what's) in the pot? Bones? unwitting tourists? Who's tending the pot...witchdoctor?

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
sounds like you need to chat with UnOrthOdOx..
Hm, wha? Someone rang?

This year I'm thinking of doing some kind of tribal, jungle, voodoo kind of thing.
YES! I fully endourse such a direction!:D

I downloaded some tribal drums awhile back and I can't get it out of my head! So that was my original inspiration.
I would very much like to hear what tribal drums you have, if you can provide a link. My original soundtrack consisted of Djembe 1 and Djembe 2 (authentic African drums) cd compilations bought off Amazon. Has grown to include Haitian, Cherokee, and Japanese drums as well.

My display is always in my front yard which is divided into two rectangles divided by the sidewalk going up to my front door. The smaller area has always been some kind of cemetery along the lines of whatever theme I was doing.
Tribal cemetery...THAT is going to depend on what tribe you want to do. There is some Native American styles on the Monster list what would be AWESOME. Myself, we went with an original concept in Project Nightfall.

I did see an episode of Tribal Odessy where they buried the leader of the tribe in a place with a bunch of painted stones. Was a stone circle, and all the 'headstones' (just random flat stones they had stood up, no writing) had just red dripping dye on them. Really creepy and cool.

I'm interested in ideas for vignettes or scenes I could put together and if there is some kind of burial grounds I could work in. What kind of things could the characters (static) be doing? I don't want a lot of blood and gore, mostly the intent of something terrible to be done.
Boy, you're right up my alley. :D I humbly present my own site as possible inspiration. Videos and pics are in the sidebar.

Other sources I've used...off the top of my head...

The following movies:
White Zombie
I walked with a Zombie
The Serpent and the Rainbow
House on Skull Mountain

TV Series of interest:
Taboo (A&E, I think)
Going Tribal (Discovery)
Tribal Odessy (Travel Channel)
Tribal Secrets (History)
Destination Truth (SciFi, not a great series, but interesting interactions with locals)

Also have studied most religious references to human sacrifice.

Witch Doctor is a must. Outside of that, you have cannibalism, shrunken heads, and sacrifice to play with as potential themes for people DOING something. Or, you can go the non-violent approach of Voudoun, with possessions, altars, chanting, dancing, etc.

I've been collecting bamboo garden poles (thin ones only so far) and raffia, and will get a bunch of torches when I can find them. I know I'll need a bunch of skulls on stakes, but after that I'm at a loss, and I need your help! I was thinking of calling it "Tribal Terror" or something along those lines.
I very heavily recommend purchasing the bamboo in bulk. Best bamboo I've found is from Bamboo Fencer. It's high right now, but typically goes on sale in the summer. Other than that, the next best I've found is the "Super bamboo" either 6' or 5' in length in the garden section of Home Depot.

Torches were once easy to find, but were most difficult last year, especially since Wal-Mart's were unsafe. I'ld avoid anything with a plastic oil canister that is not made by lamplight farms.

Again, there are means of buying these in bulk if you're looking for 25 or so. But, the break even point is about 20. Under 20, you may as well buy them small-bit from a local store.

And, feel free to ask any questions, and let us know what you're up to. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the idea.

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
My best suggestion:

HAVE FUN.

Put on those drums every time you go to work on something. FEEL them...BECOME them...and laugh when the neighbors call the cops because of them...

remember: The Hungan speaks to the drums, the drums speak to the Loa, the Loa provide.

·
Registered
355 Posts
cinders, you need some snakes!

You're theme sounds really cool. I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures.

What about putting some necklaces with fingers and toes stringed on them, on the static props.... think POTC when Johnny Depp had that toe necklace on... eww.

OooO... just got another idea... what about structures made of bones... like totem pole type things or even a cage for a victim? Maybe even the legs for the alter that yardhauntjunkie had suggested =)

This theme is fun!

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
OooO... just got another idea... what about structures made of bones... like totem pole type things or even a cage for a victim? Maybe even the legs for the alter that yardhauntjunkie had suggested =)

This theme is fun!

Reminds me of some random "to do" things on my plate that are never going to get done. (We are going to go a different route in 2010. Not willing to say it's the 'last year' of the tribal thing for us, just we'll be taking a break for a few) Love to see someone complete them:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Reminds me of some random "to do" things on my plate that are never going to get done. (We are going to go a different route in 2010. Not willing to say it's the 'last year' of the tribal thing for us, just we'll be taking a break for a few) Love to see someone complete them:

UnOrthodOx, that's EXACTLY the type of thing that I was talking about =) Very awesome.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Oh yeah, Unorthodox is the way to go. His work is amazing. He can really help you.

I dabbled in the the tribal thing two years ago and had a blast at it. See my 2007 pictures and 2007 construction albums at my profile. I got my tribal inspiration from Universal Halloween Horror Nights 15. Their whole decor was based on it. Key ingredients: Torn burlap in trees and everywhere, ropes, chains, barbed wire, skulls, wood, fire, spikes, metal, rust, spray paint. I had collected a lot of pictures of Universal's tribal year, here's a few for some inspiration:

Terra Throne:

Altar:

Victims and idol:

I have lots more pictures if you need them. Lemme know :)

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Your wish is my command :)

Bowl of Skulls:

Another icon:

Close-up of big icon:

Another Altar:

Drum Altar:

Close-up of Drum Altar:

Now, they also had sections of bikers that were in a junk-yard, Mad Max thing as well. I have some pictures of that if wanted. I thought it went kinda good with the theme. The Terra Queen actually made her appearance with the bikers (the bikes were covered in skeletons) and she herself rode a big Harley with a beast skeleton. I gotta say it was one hell of a show....

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh My Gosh you guys...such great and awesome ideas! Thanks so much to everyone. There's a bunch of stuff that seems doable in some fashion to me. I'll have to watch the movies UnOrthodOx suggested, and start scouring the thrift stores and other places for good stuff to work with. Other than what I wrote in my original post, I had no idea where I could go with this theme. Terra, the pictures are great. I'll have to do a witchdoctor as yardhauntjunkie suggested and I want to make some kind of cage. I wonder if people will look at me funny if I ask to have a look at their toes? Thanks, Curlgoddess for the necklace idea.

UnOrthodOx, I downloaded the tribal drums from a thread on here, I think. There's only a couple of short clips. I'll have to get more and look into different kinds. Do I have to stay true to a particular tribe? Or can I just mix it up with a fantasy version of a tribe? I haven't done any research into this yet, but I'm getting excited about doing this theme now.

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
UnOrthodOx, I downloaded the tribal drums from a thread on here, I think. There's only a couple of short clips. I'll have to get more and look into different kinds. Do I have to stay true to a particular tribe? Or can I just mix it up with a fantasy version of a tribe? I haven't done any research into this yet, but I'm getting excited about doing this theme now.
Oh, just mix it up.

Our current soundtrack is primarily JAPANESE, of all things. Fallen in love with taiko drumming.

YouTube - portland taiko rehearsal before rhythmic delights show

Blared out over a field of skulls you wouldn't think of it as a Japanese art form, however. :D (Portland Taiko is a good starting point for that music).

I started with a pure Navajo yard years ago. From that, we moved to a Mayan feel, and into more Aztec. Always mixed with hollywood portrayals and the lesser known realistic aspects. I've only had one person ever pick up on the general 'themes' in that way, and she's a history teacher.

This last year was completely fictitious based on a lumping together of several tribes with some good old fashioned voudoun, and it was the most fun. But, we did have a backstory to the whole 'tribe' we created. Personally, I need that 'why is this here, and why is that there' backstory. But, you're not going to get shrunken heads and impaled skulls mixed with spirit jar graves without combining a few religions. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Check out the Burundi drummers. African tribe, used as basis for Adam and The Ants 80's UK pop band sound.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I did a voodoo room of sorts last yr. Nothing fancy but the kids liked it. Since mine was indoors I couldnt use a fog machine to make a 'boiling pot' so I used a mister instead. I was lucky enough to find a skull mister that I sat up in a large pot, it gave the effect of steam off boiling water. I also used a fish tank air pump to add bubbles to the water in the pot.
I have a creepy tribal drum mp3 clip, its a minute & 40 seconds, I played it on a loop. If you'd like I can email it to you :)
Heres the trial run of it before we put it in the haunt....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts