Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
looking for help with headless horseman's horse

hi, i'm new to the website, but LOVE it already! i have found alot of really cool ideas, however so far i have not found anything that can answer this question,
i'm hoping that someone may have some ideas or helpful hints, anything that can help me with an exterior covering (coating) for the horse i've been building. he is built out of pink polystryrene, it has taken some time (two years!) to sculpt him so i'd rather not have to build another one any time soon. thus far what i'm planing on using fiberglass tape, for drywall, and monster mud. then a coating of foam coat, boost, and black paint. so i guess my question is..... has anyone worked with these products and how do they hold up in the weather??? or is there something out there that will work better? i would be grateful for any help...
thanks.......

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello- I'm the guy who built the horse in the above link. I can tell you that I used monster mud and burlap on our horse. It has been outside for two years, in the sun, snow, and rain, and it is still in very good condition. because the wire frame wobbles, bits of m.m. break off when we move it around, and it requires touch ups and repainting. Since yours is solid foam, it would hold up better.

My only comment is that m.m. shows the texture of what is under it very well, and it is very hard to get it smooth without A LOT of sanding! It also gets very heavy very fast, and it will soak up water when it rains and get heavier.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have posted a couple of links that you might want to check out. 1 is a supplier for various foam coating products. This company also has some sample sizes. The 2nd link is a manufacturer that you might try calling to see what their foam sculptures are protected with. Check out the horse sculptures on their site. The 3rd option I would consider is exterior house stucco. Process would be glass fibre reinforcing mesh, scratch and base coats, and a finish texture coat. Find supplier in your area. If you use fibre glass mesh and monster mud you can expect cracking. I hope this is some help.

Demand Products EIFS, Foam Cutting, AAC, ICF, SIPs
Welcome to Foam by Design!
Durabond Products Limited

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you so much for the links!!!! this will be very helpful. GREAT job on your headless horseman, he looks awesome!!!! i would love to have my boy rearing, but i'm having enough of a challange just buliding him standing :confused: well..... if(when) i ever get the big boy done i'll post some pic's.... there are some of the old one @ Pictures by stgabriels - Photobucket if yer interested
thank you again, i'll keep you posted on his progress.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
You are a foam genius! I saw your foam organ and the horse. Magnificent work. I also really love that witch that's "flying" on the broom. She looks great with those legs sticking out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Very nice stuff, thanks for sharing your pics! I really want to try foam soon, because wood and wire are just so heavy. Maybe this year, I have this idea for a T-Rex (girlfriend rolls eyes.)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nice work, Love your horse and horseman. I'm with you can't, get enough of the pink. why over build things, make erything as light as possable and stake it down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts