Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Ok, so I recently went to my eye doctor for my exam, and got a prescription for my contact lenses....I've been a contact lense wearer for years! I went online to lens.com to order a pair of prescription lenses, faxed a copy of my prescription, to verify with my doctor. He will not let me get a pair, because he did not "fit" me with the brand that the novelty ones are.....has anyone ever ran into this? He said he will look into it and let me know if he can get a pair to have a "fitting"....Has anyone ever ran into this problem getting novelty or theatrical prescription lenses??
Any help would be great!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Good luck with that. I have never found a doctor that would actually follow through with doing novelty lenses. I have to get mine through other channels.

·
Registered
530 Posts
We had/have the exact same issue. We tried for months to get novelty lenses for our daughter's costume and could not find an eye doctor that would sign off on them. As it was told to us, any doctor that would risks losing their license. With as many people who needs prescription lenses, it's a wonder they can stay in business, for all the people who can't get them (I'm sure I'm missing something here).

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Contact lenses (even the non-prescription ones) are considered a medical device by the FDA. Any company selling them is supposed to have a license and ask for your prescription before selling to you. I know a lot of people use the theatrical lenses but there are serious risks with using lenses from a seller that does not follow the laws. Not trying to be a buzz kill but it's something to be aware of.

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,184 Posts
If you are ordering sclera/oversize lenses, your doc has every reason to insist on fitting them as they are not like typical contact lenses and do need to fit your eye shape properly. Even then, lenses that cover more than your iris carry a greater health risk as they can suffocate your eye and damage your vision, potentially even cause blindness. The usual recommended wear time is much shorter, 2-4 hours max, for sclera covering type lenses.

The usual colored contacts made with ordinary Rx lenses have been safely used for over a decade, there are enough reputable sellers that an eye doc shouldn't be flat out refusing to allow a purchase. I'd see how the fitting turns out, calling in frequently to ask if the lenses are in yet for the fitting, reminding him that you have a deadline for needing the lenses and you'd like to get them ASAP.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There are a LOT of novelty contact sellers out there who use really cheap, awful products to make their lenses and it can permanently damage your little eyeballs. The issue is that contacts are supposed to be made more of breathable products rather than plastic, but most sellers make their lenses with things that don't allow your eyes to breathe, which dries them, and then the contacts suction cup to your eyes and damages them. Yowza.

Here's a great video that covers novelty/FX lenses [she's a makeup artist who uses a ton of novelty lenses and she discusses what to look out for, how to buy them, how to take care of them]

The biggest thing is to ensure that the buyer you're looking at is FDA approved.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I only get mine from my eye Dr, he will order whatever ones I want. I'd call around someone near you has to be familiar with it, which is what it comes down to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts