Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I saw a great prop last year in a Halloween Store (it is open year-round) and curse myself for not buying it. It has haunted me since and I can't seem to find it anywhere else on the net (believe me, I've tried: image searches, key words, Halloween prop stores, etc.). I'm going to do my best to describe it. It is one of the large-headed hanging props (maybe 12 ft?) with little spindly arms/hands. It is all plastic. Basically, it's a big plastic head with little plastic arms/hands and a long trail of fabric underneath, meant for hanging inside. I'm attaching a picture or tow of similar items, just so you get the idea.

Now for the description of the head. The best I can come up with is a cross between a devil, a goblin, and a bat. It is mostly black and definitely in the "funhouse" vein instead of the really scary/gruesome vein.

If I can find it online somewhere, that's great. However, I think that ship has sailed. So no I'm on to re-creation. The problem is, that I have never done this before. I'm fairly artistic and ambitious, so here's my idea:

Get a bunch of sculptor's clay (the kind that doesn't really dry out and become like a rock) and sculpt three primary parts: the main head, and two "fins" for each side of the head. To keep the actual parts nice and light, I was thinking of covering the sculpts with a fairly thick layer of plaster-of paris. However, I'm not sure how to coat the sculpt before the P-O-P application so that I can easily remove the hardened.

I might be WAY off base with my idea, but any advice would be greatly welcomed and appreciated. I'm not a special effects guru and have a modest budget to work with, but I'd love to hear some ideas from people in the DIY know!

The Iron Maiden pic I've included is just a reference for the "fins" on the left side of the pic. Iron_MaidenPurgatory.jpg

Thanks!

angus1973 Red Devil (5).jpg 67122.jpg _ml_p2p_pc_badge_tallest1.jpg

·
The Undead Diva
549 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Immortalia. The first link is the closest to what I remember seeing, and I'm looking to create something similar. The other two that you included are indeed cool, but I'm looking for something larger (like the first).

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts