Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My crypt dweller breaks down every year. His sole job is to push open the doors to his crypt when a mortal approaches. However, the motor and gears just cannot take the month long pounding. I've replaced motors and gears every year. Vlad, as he is named, is connected to the motor so maybe I should connect the much lighter doors to the motor instead. Then the doors would swing open and Vlad merely has to stand with his hands connected to the doors. It would be the same effect.

This being the community with vast experience with such things, I humbly inquire, anyone has ideas on opening two crypt doors using a wiper motor, please do share. The mechanics evade me.

Much thanks....

Vlad must not be static this year....

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I know this is a bit off topic but have you considered changing over to pneumatic? Wiper motors are fine for some things but with pneumatics the sky is the limit and they don't wear out. :cool:

·
black light queen
2,506 Posts
I know this is a bit off topic but have you considered changing over to pneumatic? Wiper motors are fine for some things but with pneumatics the sky is the limit and they don't wear out. :cool:
yeah, i was thinking the same thing ... although, i've never done any ... but you need an air compressor ... which may not be in the budget ... and the biggest drawback may be the noise, but it depends on the environment & prop ...

amk

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I've done a double-door prop with a wiper motor. It took a bit of fiddling to get things just right, but the motor has NEVER worn out.
The mechanism looks something like this:
DoubleDoor.jpg
You can adjust how much the doors move by moving the end points of the linkages closer to or further away from the hinges and by varying the motor arm length.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pneumatics? Just a bit over my head and budget.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Creepy,

Yes, your diagram was just what I was thinking. Thank you ! I shall have some time to build and test over the next few days....

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Pneumatics? Just a bit over my head and budget.
Not sure why most people are scared off by pneumatics. Lots of parts for cheap on ebay, most of them new or very close to it. As far as putting it all together, it's not difficult at all. Once you've built your first pneumatic prop, I guarantee, you'll be hooked, I know I was. You can get away with a small compressor for a couple of props, I even have some of mine that are self contained and run from a 5 gallon portable tank.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
That is pretty much exactly how we built it. I've left out the micro switches and other electronics from the diagram for clarity.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure why most people are scared off by pneumatics. Lots of parts for cheap on ebay, most of them new or very close to it. As far as putting it all together, it's not difficult at all. Once you've built your first pneumatic prop, I guarantee, you'll be hooked, I know I was. You can get away with a small compressor for a couple of props, I even have some of mine that are self contained and run from a 5 gallon portable tank.
I'd love to jump into the pneumatic arena, but I'm a little behind the eightball this year. Someday though.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts