Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I know this is'nt halloween related but my brothers dog ran out in front of a car and he is trying to rehabilitate him. Both back legs are in bad shape and $ 5000.00 later, no luck. I am looking to you guys for help with a lifting mechanism and so that he could walk outside and due his duty. It is a labrador about 100pds. Give me all of your suggestions. I first thought of a scissor type lift but not sure.

·
The Evil Spectre
1,220 Posts
I'm not quite sure about the sizes, but my mom had a dog that was hit by a car about 15 years ago, and the dog was paralyzed. She did have a doggy wheel chair for him to support his back legs, so he could go out and do his business.

The only bad thing was, when he was running, it was fine until he needed to turn and the chair just rolled up onto itself.

Are you wanting to make something for him? There are plenty of resources for handicapped dogs...

Wheelchairs for Dogs | Largest Pet Health and Medicine Information

·
Registered
174 Posts
If he has the strength to pull his self around. You might could put a cart under the back part of his body with 2 wheels. Use a dog harness to make it out of. That will be about as comfortable as I think you can get. It will also give him the the areas needed for relieve. I have seen dogs that had to pull there self around after ops. Some for the rest of their life. Their are some very smart folks on here. Maybe one of them might be able to give you more. If no luck, I would try going to Scary Terry's page and emailing him. I don't know of anyone, that can figure things out any better then him. I started building props because of him.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Don't know any more then the above guys. I've seen the carts. Just remember to put a pad down so it's comfortible and it doesn't get splinters and the straps don't cut off circulation or hinder it's breathing.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your coments and input. Max is a big part of our life and just trying to find a way to support him. I am just having a hard time to do it right now.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I hope max gets better soon. my dog is such a big part of my life and I know what it feels like when something happens to him even if it is only minor. good luck finding a doggy wheelchair I know they make them for bigger dogs because my neighbor had one.

·
I make dead things deader
4,565 Posts
There are plenty of companies selling dog wheel chairs and for a 100lb dog the cost is about $450.00. If you want to try and make your own start with reading this article Homemade Dog Wheel Chair

Then do a google search for homemade dog wheelchairs. There is no reason the dog can not llive out their normal life with one of these devices.

GOOD LUCK!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts