Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this forum! I've been a member for several years but this is my first post. I just bought a new Epson MovieMate 85HD a few days ago. I want to use it for outdoor movie nights and holiday parties with my grandkids. This Saturday I'm having my annual G-kid Halloween party and want to watch a few Halloween movies. I was planning to just display it on the wall but I think I should use something else. I know nothing about home theaters but have been reading a lot of posts on here about using sheets, shower curtains, blackout material, etc. For now I think I just need something that will be easy to put up and do a ok job. The kids aren't going to be picky since this is a surprise. What would you suggest I use for this? I will need to hang it since my wall space in the party room (basement) is a bit limited. Thank you very much for your help!

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
do some experimentation ... maybe just a plain wall is ok ... you probably have white sheets, so try that next ... if neither is what you want, get a white shower curtain ... you're probably not doing rear projection, so don't get the cheap shower curtain liner, but a thicker shower curtain ... blackout curtains or cloth are probably the most expensive of the least expensive options, so save that till the end, if you're still not satisfied with the image ...

good luck with you're experimentation!

amk

·
Registered
368 Posts
Not very good for storage but if your projector is not too bright you might want to try using project board. It kind of looks like dry-erase board material and you can get it at Home Depot etc. in 4x8 sheet sizes. If you are looking for something more permanent you can just paint out a rectangle screen using a smooth roller and some kilz primer (which has alot of the same properties as actual screen material) then trim it out with some door casing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Are you going to be hanging the screen against a wall? If so, try using a plain white sheet first. That should work OK, but give it a trial run first.

If you are hanging your screen in the middle of the room, you may want something that won't show as much bleed through, so maybe something like a canvas painters drop cloth from Home Depot or Lowes?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
If you can evenly spray a VERY light coat of white safely reflective spray paint over the surface of a disposable white bed sheet and get a taut stretch- the results are incredible.

·
Registered
738 Posts
If you want a more permanent diy screen (something you can roll up), buy white, blackout shade from the fabric store. I made an internal projection screen and an external screen for parties. Blackout shade is opaque and has about 80% of the reflectivity at about 10% of the price of a manufactured screen.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The frosted shower curtains from the dollar store always work great for me. I just toss them when done. White sheets are better if it's windy and a bit easier to stabilize. I do movie night with the kids and popcorn with red vines. They love it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You might want to look at Carl's Place. Not extremely cheap but not outrageously expensive either.
I actually have epson g5150 projector 4000 lumens and they are very bright. So I bought the Carl's grey rear projection film for window projection after testing their sample of projector screens. I asked also their suggestion which one works best for my projector. It's a bit expensive, awaiting delivery still. But it will be worth pretty sure.:eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
This is what im using with a cheap projector this year will work for front or rear projection . Im using a side panel from my e-z up tent its 10'x10' and works great im using rear projection with a $60 H80 projector

·
Registered
671 Posts
I used PVC to make a frame to hold a shower curtain in my front window...works great for setup and show. You could probably use the same type of set up for a 'big' screen showing.

I used the Snap Clamps from Spider Hill Prop Works to hold the shower curtain to the pvc frame... http://www.spiderhillpropworks.com/1-Inch-Snap-Clamps-10-pack_p_14.html
That's genius!!! I will say these clamps are available on Amazon just in case Spider Hill is swamped with Halloween orders this time of year, these clamps appear to be used to build greenhouses and are readily available just in case!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone for the great ideas! I bought a painter tarp but it was too big and I assumed it would have grommets so I couldn't use it. I then bought. White queen sheet and a white shower liner. Unfortunately I grabbed a fitted sheet so I used the liner which worked out pretty good for what we needed at the time. I had the movie playing when the kids arrived. They were really surprised and excited! We had a great time and can't wait to have outdoor movies this summer. I'll have a much better screen by then. I'm definitely going to get some of those clamps - they will come in handy for other ideas too. Here's a photo of my impromptu set up. The blue tarp is hiding some open shelving which will get replaced by next Halloween. image.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts