Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use a projector to have a santa scene appear in the house window,or on a mosquito net hung outside.In both cases i want it to be viewable from inside.
* So how would i go about projecting a decoration/scene onto the window so it could be viewed from inside ?
* Could i do the same,but instead of the window,project onto a mosquito net hung up outside the house,and be viewable from inside the house ?
* What projector/kit would you guys recommend ?
* Does the projector have to be setup to a computer or any other device ?

Having a rough holiday this year,my first 2 plans for giving my mom a special fun event have not come together.This is plan C.My mom is in her 80's and loves christmas and santa.And the current plan im trying to get a handle on,is to give her a special "wand",that lets her "look in on santa". Complete with a casting ritual,which after she performs,i will activate the projector showing the scenes of santa in action either on the window or on a mosquito net hung from the pergola.

Thank you in advance for any help

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,714 Posts
I am so sorry you're having a bad year!

There are many christmas prop builiding forums that can help with x-mas props specifically, but as many members here also decorate for that holiday as well, you may get some help if they see this thread. But I wouldn't expect a huge amount of eyes on this subject at this time on this forum, specifically. :D

Maybe also try searching for x-mas prop building forums as well? http://doityourselfchristmas.com/ is one that seems active so maybe there will be some folks there that can help out some too.

I just picked up a holiday projector that came preloaded with several Halloween and x-mas projections and came with a screen to suspend in a window or door frame and a remote. It is similar to this one.

So you could set this up inside the house and not really need anything else like a computer or anything, but it isn't meant to be outdoors exposed to weather, and as long as the little remote is aimed correctly it will work pretty well once set up. But the stuff you're asking about - a magic wand controller that can automatically turn on a projection effect likely is going to require a pretty complicated computer/programming and special equipment... and be pretty expensive if you aren't technically inclined enough to build your own setup from scratch. :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chachabella
Yes, we have plenty of tress,and could use them if the pergola wasnt a good choice.

Frankie's Girl
In this plan (c),the wand is just a bit of show,no effect.I was going to use a remote to turn on the projector secretly,so mom would get the impression the wand did it.

My first plan for this year was a programmable ir wand,and some ir activated plugs scattered around the room for some christmas lights etc...But the wands and the plugs were both lacking and setting them up would have been overly complicated and it could have easily failed.

ill post on that christmas forum.

·
Registered
363 Posts
So hang the mosquito net on the pergola and set the projector behind the net, at an angle so there is no hotspot. Many projectors have an sd card slot, so you can put your digital scenes in there without having to hook the projector up to a computer. I would say almost every projector comes with a remote, and as long as you aren't too far away it should reach. If the remote doesn't reach then you can just have the scenes already playing and after she waves her wand take her to the window to see her results.

How much are you looking to spend on the projector? You can often find them on craigslist for a good discount.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really dont know,i was hoping for under $100.The more under the better.Ive seen a few older ones in the $30 to $40 range,kits that come with projector,screen,dig decorations,etc...One im leaning towards is an atmos fx kit.because it got okay reviews and their site has a lot of tutorials.

What kind of angle can you typically have the projector on vs the screen before you get distortion of the image ?
I just wish these companies had forums for their projectors/products.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,403 Posts
I have that AtmosFX all-in-one set up I got a couple years ago on sale. One like this:
https://atmosfx.com/collections/gear/products/digital-decorating-kit

AtmosFX is an easy to use set up, it's all self contained, it's got a remote, it comes with several pre-loaded things including Santa along with Halloween stuff & it has a USB port you can use to display other videos so you could buy just the images from them & use them from the USB. The kit also comes with a screen & some 3M strips to stick it up.

The angle depends on the size of the space where you're going to project the image. The Atmos is not super high resolution but it's good enough for what you want to do & you can adjust to sharpness to a degree.

As long as you're not projecting on a ginormous wall it should work well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
K,thanks all,i think im going to bargain hunt up one of those.I like their tutorials,wish the videos were better,but maybe i can find a better one somewhere else and use that with the atmos

1 - 8 of 8 Posts