Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I cover some large doll faces with Crayola Model Magic clay, turning them into witches. After the clay dried out, it shrunk and cracked which turned out good since these were witches; then I spray painted them green.

The new witches sat in my basement awaiting the arrival of the big day in Halloween without any issues, but when exposed to the weather, they didn't fair so well.

After about a week, the clay started falling off in chunks. Any suggestions on how to prep the plastic doll faces so the clay adheres better? Or any type of coating that'll help the clay bond together better so it doesn't break off?

Tks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've tried using the same Model Magic clay before and had the same problems. For me, it become very brittle and didn't stick to the surface I attached it to. Instead I went with Apoxy Scuplt which is more of an epoxy but acts like clay. Mix equal amounts of A and B and start scuplting. It will fully air dry in about 8 hours. It is more expensive than Model Magic clay but it will stick to anything and does not become brittle. It's also easy so file and sand after it has fully cured. I ended up giving my tub of Model Magic clay to the grandkids.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Winter's Asylum, I take a look at the Apoxy Sculpt stuff. A quick search found it available on Amazon. Does anyone know if Hobby Lobby or a Michaels type store typically carries it?

Mr. Chicken I'm anxious to hear about your advice.

Thanks to both of you!!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
There are some incredible artists that work with Celluclay on this forum. Both members Terra and Lauriebeast do amazing work with it. I recommend checking out this great tutorial from Lauriebeast:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-step-step/62175-bride-tutorial-part-1-a.html

You also have a lot of options with two part epoxies. It really comes down to the working time vs. set time. I have used Magic-Sculpt before and takes a couple hours to harden. That's the plus, the drawback is that it is very rubbery and does not hold the greatest amount of detail like regular clay. It can be sanded and tooled. But keep in mind it makes for a very heavy head when done.

·
Reaper Queen
8,616 Posts
I have never used doll faces as a base for a prop head, I have always used the foam wig head. I also am not in the league with Lauriebeast, Terra , or Mr. Chicken, but have made several our side props that have held up for several years, and in Michigan October is rainy a lot of the time, I use the celluclay base, and paperclay as a detail/finisher. I then use camp dry, just because we had it left over from our tent camping days, I then paint it with acrylics, and then put many coats of a matte clear sealer, not a water proof spray. although it couldn't hurt. Mine have been out in the elements for 2 long camping weekends, then for a couple of weeks at home, with no issues,, . here are the pictures of the "girls" a few years ago,, like I said, not in the big leagues, but I am happy with them!

http://www.halloweenforum.com/members/bethene-albums-halloween-camping-2011-picture95207-witches-hut.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts