Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, I did try searching, might not have been using the right keywords, Couldn't find the Makeup forum, so here I am.
I have a prosthetic mask I got for this year, Glues on, I have not been able to bring myself to completely shave the little bit of facial hair under my lip and on my chin. How do I cover this? There is only a little area between my lower lip and the prosthetic that needs it. I've only been able to find one article that said a Glue Stick, and another that said liquid latex, latex I do believe will be extremely unpleasant to get back off. I really appreciate any help... unless you say "shave it"

Thank You

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
Here's a way to cover brows so I'd imagine it would work on what little bit of facial hair you don't want to part with but it does involve a glue stick &/or latex:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yea with working with makeup and doing makeup at a haunt for a few years now... No real way around shaving it off... I know u want to keep it, but anything that you put on will only get stuck in it, and u will have wished u shaved... Picking latex from facial hair is not fun same as sprit glue... U can try skin wax but glue doesnt stick to it. I tell my actors to always shave if they want the good stuff... If they are not cleaned shaven I dont apply glue or latex just cause of the out come... Sorry dude just shave it...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Careful with any liquid latex around any body hair. OUCH!

Several years ago, I tried an experiment years ago with colored liquid latex on my hands (red, for a devil costume). In those days, I had to go to an S&M store
to find it (that was a rather unique experience in itself...;-).

The store clerk suggested I try it on a small area on the back of my hand first, before trying it on larger areas or on more sensitive parts....

Thankfully, I listened to her and tried it out first, as the back of my hand broke out in rash within a few hours of using it. Red, itchy rash, too.

Never have had a latex allergy before that or since. Must've been some other chemical in it.

Dumped the rest of it and bought red gloves.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Facial hair definitely limits costume and makeup choices. To all you people who say just shave it off I say :p. I've got too many years invested in my beard, it's about a foot long so far and I want to see if it'll get down to my waist like my head hair.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Facial hair definitely limits costume and makeup choices. To all you people who say just shave it off I say :p. I've got too many years invested in my beard, it's about a foot long so far and I want to see if it'll get down to my waist like my head hair.
Have you considered just going as cousin It ? lol

·
Registered
623 Posts
Have you considered just going as cousin It ? lol
Yes. Comb my hair over my face and put on some sun glasses. The main reason I never did was the need to cover the rest of my body and the fact that a 6'6" cousin It wouldn't be right. I guess I could be cousin It's cousin What or something.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
I get the impression though that the OP isn't a Wookie, he's got a little bit of hair on his chin he wants to cover.

Just what does it look like? Pick one!! Is it more soul patch-y or full goatee?

·
Never try to eat a zombie
778 Posts
Glycerin and gelatin mix wont rip off your facial hair, first dry a small amount on a plate then cover your chin w/ it. Then apply your appliance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Soul Patch-y...I like that, that's pretty much what it WAS...I did cry a little bit, mainly from the burning pain of not shaving that for years, then applying spirit gum...It was on fire for a while. But, seeing that I needed to apply this for 3 weekends in a row (last one coming up), and I didn't want it to wind up falling off and looking ridiculous, I did bite the bullet. Thank you all for sharing, and the few that defended shaving...It was a first for me using a prosthetic, and it was/is a learning process, but, well worth it, I don't think I'll ever buy a mask again, unless it's for making a prop.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
Soul Patch-y...I like that, that's pretty much what it WAS...I did cry a little bit, mainly from the burning pain of not shaving that for years, then applying spirit gum...It was on fire for a while. But, seeing that I needed to apply this for 3 weekends in a row (last one coming up), and I didn't want it to wind up falling off and looking ridiculous, I did bite the bullet. Thank you all for sharing, and the few that defended shaving...It was a first for me using a prosthetic, and it was/is a learning process, but, well worth it, I don't think I'll ever buy a mask again, unless it's for making a prop.
Good to hear it worked out & you only lost a soul patch & not a full on Duck Dynasty beard!

·
Registered
1 Posts
While facial hair on men can be tricky due to the coarse nature of beards, I find using Vaseline on the eyebrows in a thick layer will allow you to stick the prosthetic around it without ripping them off later I'm currently testing a few things to work over men with facial hair, like myself. Cheers.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Definitely glue stick. I use it on my eyebrows all the time works a treat. Never use latex that stuff will rip out any hair it can grab.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts