Halloween Forum banner

Help with cable

2278 Views 9 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  jbaum
Hello - I was hoping someone could help identifying some bulk black cable that I have laying around. I would like to add a 3 prong plug to it and use it as a extension cord, but am clueless on what is printed on the outside cover.

Here is what is printed:
ul c(ul) SJOOW 3/C 18AWG(0.824mm2) 105C VW-1 300v E215210 100281-001

I assume it means 18amps and 300volts but wanted to get some advice from someone that knows what they are doing before I catch something on fire. I would say that it is about 12'-15' long.

Thanks in advance.

Material property Font Electric blue Wire
See less See more
1 - 2 of 10 Posts
Which stands for 3 conductors (wire), 18 gauge (awg), rated to 300 Volts. I'm not familiar with rest of the code. But 18 awg won't carry much load. The cheap extension cords are normally 16 awg and the heavy duty ones are 12 awg.

So It really depends on what you are trying to power and also how far away from the outlet it is. So we need some more information to be able to accurately and safely say yes or no to the idea.
I've used all sorts of wire for speaker wire for Halloween.
1 - 2 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.