Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I really want one of those coffins that open slightly with a hand sticking out. The one I envision is similar to the one in Disney's haunted mansion. Does anyone know how to build one? Or better yet where to just outright buy one? I suck building stuff anyways, so I prefer to buy one.

·
Registered
363 Posts
going to try and bild one myself using styrafoam there are dimension online but I think im going to print a pic and project on onto the styrafam and go from ther

·
Registered
148 Posts
I made one out of old weathered barn wood. I made it open with a wiper motor. The lid was heavy enough it opened slow then banged shut fast and loud. I put a fog machine and strobe light inside so when it opened chilled fog spilled out and the strobe set on slow flashed.
May not be quite what your looking for but it turned out decent.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I made my first one with plywood and molding trim....painted it all black, added hinges and handles......came out pretty nice. The second one i made, i made from old pallet wood that i found near dumpsters and at work etc. The wood was great for the old, decayed look. I know it looks tough but, basically you're making a box in 3-dimensions as an entire unit. When you're done making the box, you simply take a circular saw or reciprocating saw and cut your lid off so that the two parts match perfectly. Add some hinges and "VOILA" a nice coffin ! As you are making your coffin, the inside framing is simply a few blocks on the inside for attaching the pieces together as in a "toe pincher coffin" where there are multiple angles.There are various methods of joining the wood, screws, nails, glue etc. There is really no good or bad way to make a coffin really, it's up to you and creativity. To make a very simple coffin i would start with a rectangular box made from some 1/2" plywood and simply screw all of the sides together with blocking or framing on the inside to reinforce the joinery. What could be more simple than a long narrow rectangle? Good luck to you......Have a look at my profile to see my coffins for ideas if you like. Any help i can give you, don't hesitate to ask....'Scruff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts