Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I need help with my air cannon. It was working fine when I first built it. After sitting for a year, it stopped working. Today I changed out the solenoid and it worked a couple of times and the then started acting squirrelly. I put the original solenoid back on and it worked again for a bit and stopped again. I put another new one on and now nothing, just it clicking.

I uploaded a video with this so you can see it and hear the solenoid clicking. I'm hoping one of you out there have had this problem before and there's an easy fix for it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Daddy-O

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I removed it completely. Same results.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The solenoid is 12V. That's what I was using. Do you know if more or less amps would make a difference?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Too little current available from the power supply could be the problem. I am not really sure how much current the solenoid you are using needs. One would think if it worked before with the same setup (controller and power supply) it should keep working. Have you tried bypassing the controller and just straight to the solenoid? Process of elimination. Maybe the supply is crapping out?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure what power supply I used in the past. I'm going to try skipping the controller tonight or tomorrow, whenever I get the chance.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,456 Posts
I would suggest that you try using a power supply that is rated for a couple of amps. It very well may be your controller isn't rated for the amps the solenoid is pulling. A good solenoid usually only pulls about 1 amp or less. I have some here that are rated at .15 amps. I think if you use a 12 volt dc power supply rated for at least 3 amps , you shouldn't have a problem. You could use a car battery just for testing if need be.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I tend to agree with bfjou812, try a car battery directly to the solenoid without the controller. If it still doesn't work, it has to be the valve. When you say the solenoid has been switched out, do you mean the entire valve or just the solenoid?

·
Registered
76 Posts
One more thing to consider ... this may well be a pilot-operated valve. In other words, in addition to energizing the solenoid, you must also apply adequate pressure to open the valve. Make sure you're operating the valve at the same (but still "safe") pressure you've successfully used in the past.

wbn

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,456 Posts
When you say "solenoid" what are you referring to? I ask because in the video you are pointing to the coil, which energizes and creates a magnetic field to move an iron core which opens a port in the valve to release the air stored in he tank. Is the coil rated for 12 volt DC? That looks like a simple diaphragm valve where there is no need for any pilot pressure. What s the make of the valve?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I finally figured out the problem. Like a few of your suggestions, I tried a higher amperage power supply and lo and behold, it worked like it was suppose to. Thank you to all of you who posted. That's why I love this site. I knew we could fix it together!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was using a 12V 1A originally. When I tried it again last night I used a 12V 5A. It was probably more than it needed, but it worked! I'm not sure what I used when I first built it. I went back and looked at the video I posted a couple of years ago, but couldn't tell.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Glad you got it working. When something has been working fine and then stops functioning, the first thing to do is take a step back and look for anything that may have changed. Parts do go bad but if something is different with the setup, 9 times out of 10 that's the culprit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts