Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, my mom doesn't need to be painted :) I'm making a mummy that I'd like to look realistic. I've put a base coat of flat black on him so far. He looks like this

tumblr_n9300cpFvr1qz58vqo1_250.jpg

tumblr_n9300cpFvr1qz58vqo2_250.jpg

He's still a bit wet in these pics.

but I'd like him to look more like this

135032851054513842401201197_IWM_TheHistoryOfMummification.jpg

Any ideas on how to give him a more dusty look? It doesn't seem that dry-brushing would do it.
Thanks!

·
Ghouls Rule
2,580 Posts
I would rag on a deep brown color (maybe some shoe polish or liquid stain) and blend it to the black base (keeping the black as areas of the worst decay). Then take a new clean rag and with it slightly moist, sweep the rust color over the face. Or, if you want the texture to be dusty, get some cheap bronzer makeup in that color in ref pic and "highlight" his face using a makeup brush or paintbrush that is big and fat. Spray it with a fixative or hairspray.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hello Intellagirl. Kittyvibe has some great ideas. Not much I can add. Having not done a mummy before this is what I would try. I would test it on the back. Dry brushing the color you want, either paint or stain. Makeup is also good option and sealed as suggested above. Also, you could use Fillers Earth or Ben Nye' s Plains Dust powder. You are off to a great start and I'm sure you will have it looking perfect when you are done. Best of luck and have fun!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
What is the prop made of? I use FW inks on my items if they are latex or Resin. I make a Mrs Voorhees mummified severed head and I also use a flat black spray paint as a base coats. I then slowly build up her clots with Flesh Tint and the Brown Umber. Gives it a fantastic old look!

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Intellagirl, how did you make this beauty? Paper mache? Would love to try something like this myself. Can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,580 Posts
was thinking more of the dusty part. Saw some videos on making display bases for my village pieces and they have hobby dirt in various colors that might do the trick too. brush on a bit of clear glue (or dry to clear) and sprinkle the hobby dirt on.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for all of the great tips and ideas. I'll be sure to post an update after I give them a try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts