Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Grand WaZoo
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, as part of my haunt, I set up a small table, with a lighted crystal ball and my sister-in-law behind to tell fortunes. The TOT’s lined up and some even came back bring their friends to have their fortune read! So as you imagine it was a smashing success! This year I decided to doubled up took on the swamp theme with erecting a large tent, the kind you see at craft fairs and on the beach, and am decorating and lighting it in this swamp theme. The Voodoo Priestess will not only have the same crystal ball as last year but also a special skull cup to rattle her bones to cast out and the read kids fortunes. All well and good except my Voodoo Priestess of last year has bailed on me at the last moment! Seems she rather go on some tacky dime a dozen Caribbean cruises to see if she pick up a seafaring stud. Oh well, so I now have a stand in Priestess but she doesn’t have a clue as to what to do or how to read fortunes. So unless you want to show in person does anyone have a website they can point me to as some type of tutorial for my stand in Priestess or can give me some good tips that will help this frighten but brave gal do her job on Halloween night??? Help!!!

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
I'd suggest doing a google search for 'divination' or maybe 'tarot'. Possibly google 'mentalist', too. You could try a random approach--print up 53 fortunes on the computer and assign each fortune a playing card value [all four suits +joker]. Hide the list where your actress can read it quickly and easily without it being easily visible to the ToTs. Have the ToTs draw a card and have their "fortune" told. If she is 'casting bones', you could have a template that the bones land on . Sort of like a very primitive Ouija board. A simple layout dividing the board into quarters and decorating the quarters in different colors and with symbols for travel, friendship, money, success, whatever. The fortune is read by how many bones land on which symbols. A lot of fortune telling, like reading tea leaves, crystal gazing, and dowsing, can be pretty subjective so it might be faked if your Stand-In Voodoo Queen is a decent actress. good luck!

·
Grand WaZoo
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ondeko,

Thanks you gave me some good idea to look into. I can always make the colored squares with symbols and place the crystal ball in the middle. Like you said read off the chart is she cast de bones and make up some general mumbo jumbo as she looks into her crystal ball.

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
I had another thought while I was breathing glue fumes this morning--How many Tots see her at the same time? If she never talks to more than 4 at once, she really only needs 4 fortunes to tell. And as all prophecy--be vague. Very very vague.

·
Grand WaZoo
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had another thought while I was breathing glue fumes this morning--How many Tots see her at the same time? If she never talks to more than 4 at once, she really only needs 4 fortunes to tell. And as all prophecy--be vague. Very very vague.
True very true, and I am going to look into your suggestions. Finished up the fortune tellers "swamp" tent today and with the lighting I will have in it I think it is going to turn out good. Then took a ride 30 miles from my house to check out a haunted attraction that I haven't been to in a few years. They added a few props I would love to have if I only had the money to replicate in my own haunt and I would love to have the funeral Hurst they had there parked in my driveway with a nice musty coffin! Oh well if we all could only have the money to fullfil our haunted wishes.

I thought they took the good stuff out of model cars glue and fabric cleaners long ago? I didn't realize you could still kill massive amount of brain cells huffing the stuff you can buy at your local Wally World now? That just shows how out of touch this old spook is. LOL!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts