Halloween Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have this huge bradford pear tree in my front yard where I hang my swinging possessed girl, a bunch of spanish moss, and most importantly my lights! It was a huge atmospheric centerpiece to my yard. We had a 45 minute storm that was surprisingly short but powerful and it no only knocked out the power all night but it split the tree in three! a bunch of neighborhood kids came to rescue with tons of saws and we cleaned up the mess. We set the limbs on the side of the road but no one picked them up all month long. Now we have all these tree limbs from huge to small just sitting around and it came to my mind, hey, let's use this wood to make some cool creepy stuff for Halloween! it's creepier and cheaper than wood from the store, but my mind is blank as to what to make. ANY IDEAS PLEASE? my dad finally agreed to let us make an archway for one side of our path (yay) but i'm unsure how to go about that as well. Thank you :)

·
Going bump in the night..
3,389 Posts
Post deleted as I mistakenly double-posted...happens to the best of us - and those like me.
See below for real post.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,389 Posts
Not sure how straight the branches are, but something I had done a number of years ago with branches from a magnolia tree I had to cut way back, was to make a large, creepy scarecrow.

Many of the branches were fairly straight - not curled, gnarly, knotted lengths of wood. Using screws and some of the natural curve of the branches, I fastened together a vaguely humanoid form of a torso with immensely long arms. I had an old, black shower curtain around, and fashioned a sort of jacket for the scarecrow (I made some basic cuts to allow it to hang on the back and over the arms, and then using a stapler instead of needle and thread, I cut out the jacket shape and stapled the seams together.)

The head was made of a large faux pumpkin, which I just jammed some LED's into to illuminate the interior (which I painted red to give the impression of glowing embers or similar).

This scarecrow has lasted for 4 or 5 years at least, and I store it outside, strapped to the side of a shed in my backyard. This may be the first year since I've made it that I might not put it out, simply due to changes I made to my yard this past year.

The dimensions of this thing are about 10' or 11' high, with a span of 10' or so from tip to tip of the arms. It has a bit of an arch to the back, making it hang over forward, and I'll usually put it right next to the sidewalk, so it literally looms over people passing by. It never fails to attract attention and praise.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Kat - Sorry to hear about your tree.

Not sure of your theme, but what about making a campfire scene.

- Take some of the smaller branches and make a fake fire, placing branches in a circle (tepee looking) and using the fake fire/coals with Christmas lights method for the fire.
- Take 3 of the bigger branches and make a larger Tepee and hang a Witches Brew Calderon from the middle of a tepee shaped brace
- Take 3 of the biggest branches/logs and make a place where you can have 2-4 skeletons sitting around roasting rats or ?? Using some of the smallest branches for the rat roast.
- Add a bunch of skulls on pikes
- Add some tiki torches to the top of some pikes

Add a scarecrow or 2 like Ugly Joe had mentioned above and that should help use some of the tree debris ???

Hope it might give a few ideas.

PB

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
more info

Thank you all :) I hope to keep getting more ideas (wonderful community) I want you to know how much i have to work with, i'll try to find a pic, but i pretty much have an entire tree on the side of the road and some more in the back yard by my shed along with older tree branches and a skeleton of whats left of my christmas tree. We have mostly graveyard, along with tons of vintage porcelain(gosh idk how to spell) large baby doll heads and pieces and some whole dolls too with chipping paint and all that, creeps me out but it's my dad's idea, i'm litterally sitting next to an open trunk thats overflowing with them. we put them around this swinging possessed girl we got from spirit. we recently ordered spirit's angel of death. we do have tikis that we spraypaint, that's a great idea for new lanterns! Tree Property Woody plant Plant Land lot okay that may be a bad pic, ill get a better one

·
Registered
899 Posts
I made some "trees" out of some trimmed branches:

Those are for this year. This is from last year. We mistakenly took off all of the smaller twigs and they looked too bare:

I hung pumpkins and creepy cloth from them. I'm going to put a bunch of crows on the branches this year.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what did you use for the base? I made one last year and took forever and a chaotic system of wire to get it to stand up and it stilol sunk when the ground went muddy

·
Registered
899 Posts
My hubby works at a valve manufacturing plant. That's where he gets them. Maybe you have something like that in your area and you could ask if you could have them. They are just garbage anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts