Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our yard theme for this year is "Toybox of Terror!!!" When we thought of it, it seemed like there were endless possibilities. Now that I'm a few months into building, I'm running out of ideas. Here's what we have so far:
  • Giant Jack in the Box
  • Huge yellow rubber duck with scary teeth
  • 6ft tall cymbal banging monkey toy
  • scary baby doll heads
  • three little pig figures with impaled wolf head
This is probably about half of what we'll need to really fill the yard (very long street front). I'm picking up old dolls etc at yard sales for accents, but they won't make enough impact to fill the space.

Any ideas would be awesome!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Since you are going with big sizes on everything I wonder if making a big stack of letter blocks that kids use to spell words with. In my haunted kids room I have them stacked randomly but they spell works like "go away" "Beware" and I have those letters in fluorescent paint so the black light makes them glow above the other letters.
That is all that is coming into my head right now but would love to see pics or your display when finished. It sounds amazing!

·
Registered
30 Posts
How about a Walgreen/Costco skeleton on a tricycle? You could strap the feet to the pedals, then motorize the front wheel. I have this on my todo list, but it is down in the queue. It might also be cool to use well timed momentary power on something like this to have him take off in the direction of approaching people. You could then "reel him back in" to reset. Have you ever plugged in a belt sander that has had the power switch manually locked to the on position? They take off like a rocket!
-Mike

edit- or how bout a rechargeable drill!

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Balls, child's books, stuffed animals, all super sized? This may be more along the lines of 'playground of terror'~ zombie babies digging in a sandbox..the sandbox filled with skulls & bones(or the leftover parts from the doll heads)?
HF member Hilda's idea on playground spring riders: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/427701295837541396/

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,773 Posts
Ragaddy Ann and Ragaddy Andy with pitch forks. Hang princess/kids costumes from end of the pitch fork. Giant cabbage patch dolls around a large cauldron making sour krout out of doll heads with long hair.

Sorry not much creativity flowing today.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OMG! You guys are all brilliant. So many awesome ideas in just a few hours!
I scored about 15 yards of fake fur in various colors at a community yard sale last weekend. I may try to make a big patchwork scary teddy with it.
Keep the ideas coming. They're great!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
A monster in a box (do a search) painted up to look like a big toybox - could even have "toybox" painted on the outside

Something I'd always intended in doing with my scary tales theme (which might work for your theme) is a stack of "gory books" made from foamcore pieces with the edges cut to look like pages, with titles like: Little Dead Ridinghood, The Three Little Witches, Pumpkinstilskin...

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I made a large eye out of a large pilates ball that I got cheap at a thrift store. How about an (eye) ball and jacks, with the jacks made out of pvc pipe?

BTW, could you post pics of the items you've already done? Sounds pretty awesome.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
How about a toy box that you modify to have a slowly opening & closing lid. Light it up with a small spotlight to highlight the various stuffed animals & teddy bears that are crammed inside who look like they are trying to climb out. Maybe doctor the stuffies so that all their mouths have sharp, jagged teeth showing. Grr!

Set up a bench or rocking chair, and line up a few baby dolls in a row. Replace their plastic doll eyes with glowing lights - maybe red or green so they look possessed.

Maybe do a version of Lincoln Logs, but instead of the Lincoln Logs, use skeleton bones to build a dollhouse/playhouse.

If you go to flea markets/yard sales, you may be able to find one of those power wheels little vehicles that kids can drive. You could try turning it into a mini-hearse instead. Ha ha!

Also a rocking horse could be decked out to look a lot scarier too.

Good luck! Hope to see some photos of your projects!

·
Registered
5 Posts
just remember that there have been a lot of good toy box things in the movies.
think about toy story and his creepy toys
1233277_10151877960982148_2068435669_o1.jpg

i also like the idea of scrabble tiles spelling things out

maybe a fake etch e sketch with something gruesome sketched out on it

marionettes like puppet master
have the strings get pulled by some simple motor so that the dolls are always moving.

then there is the old fall back of my buddy / good guy dolls (chucky)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Since you are going with big sizes on everything I wonder if making a big stack of letter blocks that kids use to spell words with. In my haunted kids room I have them stacked randomly but they spell works like "go away" "Beware" and I have those letters in fluorescent paint so the black light makes them glow above the other letters.
That is all that is coming into my head right now but would love to see pics or your display when finished. It sounds amazing!
Yes, I love this idea. You could incorporate the Carnevil idea I've seen before with the blocks. Have 3 blocks that spell out FUN and have the F blink into an R - RUN! Maybe you could do it with that invisible black light paint and have the black light blink on and off to show the R.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts