Halloween Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to build a facade around the entryway to my house. The photo below shows the entryway and I would like to make the facade cover the front and the side. My vision is to create something that looks like a castle or mausoleum that is about 12’ tall and 8‘ wide in the front with a doorway so guests can enter to see “The tomb of Dracula!” (I will build an animatronic coffin to go inside.)

I cannot use foam because the woodpeckers will destroy it so my thought is to use 1/4 inch plywood. (Not sure if some other material would be better.) I would use two 4’ by 8’ sheets in front vertically with another sheet horizontally across the top. I would make a doorway between the vertical panels to hide the seam. I would do the same thing for the side of the entryway but without the door of course.

I am not sure the best way to get a stone texture. Should I just use Drylok? I am concerned it would not be all that interesting without nooks and crannies that foam can give you. The other thought I have is using joint compound. I have used that on wood to make a tombstone with a rough stone look and then painted but never intended my tombstone to be left out in the rain. I am attaching a photo to show the texture from the tombstone. Do you think joint compound would hold up if I painted over it with DryLok?

I would love feedback on any aspect of this project good, bad, or otherwise! I have never made anything like this before and have no idea what I’m doing. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome to the site/community/madness 🎃

There's a US flag next to your name, but "neighborhood" in your first photo had the British spelling, so I'm not sure where you're located, but a search of Menard's site shows a few varieties of fake stone panels that are already in the 4' x 8' size you want:
Home Depot carries them too, but a much smaller selection: 1/4 in. x 48 in. x 96 in. DPI Canyon Stone Wall Panel-173 - The Home Depot
They're too flimsy to stand up on their own, so you'll still need some re-enforcement for them. For easy of assembly & take-down, I've used wooden framing (like when constructing a house). 2" x 4" studs placed every 4' worked for me although, because of where my display was, I didn't have to protect against wind, errant pedestrians, or frightened fleeing trick-or-treaters. It looks like you could use the vertical wooden boards that are already part of your entryway.

Depending on the level of authenticity you want, you can also paper over your 4 x 8 plywood with facade paper: https://www.amazon.com/Stone-Wallpa...tone+Wall+contact+paper&qid=1636821309&sr=8-7 You'll have to sand down the plywood first. I used this method to create a marble wall a few Halloweens ago. Did it fool any interior decorators or geologists? No. Was it meant to? No. It set the scene and a good scare was had by all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the input!

Welcome to the site/community/madness 🎃

There's a US flag next to your name, but "neighborhood" in your first photo had the British spelling, so I'm not sure where you're located, but a search of Menard's site shows a few varieties of fake stone panels that are already in the 4' x 8' size you want:
Home Depot carries them too, but a much smaller selection: 1/4 in. x 48 in. x 96 in. DPI Canyon Stone Wall Panel-173 - The Home Depot
They're too flimsy to stand up on their own, so you'll still need some re-enforcement for them. For easy of assembly & take-down, I've used wooden framing (like when constructing a house). 2" x 4" studs placed every 4' worked for me although, because of where my display was, I didn't have to protect against wind, errant pedestrians, or frightened fleeing trick-or-treaters. It looks like you could use the vertical wooden boards that are already part of your entryway.

Depending on the level of authenticity you want, you can also paper over your 4 x 8 plywood with facade paper: https://www.amazon.com/Stone-Wallpa...tone+Wall+contact+paper&qid=1636821309&sr=8-7 You'll have to sand down the plywood first. I used this method to create a marble wall a few Halloweens ago. Did it fool any interior decorators or geologists? No. Was it meant to? No. It set the scene and a good scare was had by all.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts