Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a good "problem" to have. But I am totally unprepared.

Got 50 lbs. of dry ice given to me last night. It's in a cooler in my driveway - but since I wasn't expecting it- I have nothing set up for dry ice.

PLEASE give me some ideas I can set up fasssssssst! Ideally, I would love something near or with the treats I am giving out. I have lots of plastic bins.

I will be giving out treats by myself- so I have very limited time to heat up water - but I might be able to set up a hot-plate nearby.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Last minute fog needs NO explanation. You'll think of something, ANYTHING, just don't let it go to waste...
Have fun tonight!

·
>^..^<
795 Posts
Steaming cauldron? You could hang some plastic snakes and bugs and a skeleton hand out of it and put a sign on it, "More 'treats' brewing..." and pretend to take the kids' candy out of it before you give it to them.

·
Registered
13,764 Posts
It's been ages since i've had dry ice (5th or 6th grade science experiment with radio isotopes--think it was a World Book Encyclopedia experiment) but would the temp of the ice crack plastic being so cold? Use care handling.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nah- I had a duck pond one year using a large bin and dry ice contained in 3 lb coffee cans with large holes.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
50 pounds last s surprisingly well- all wrapped up- in coolers under layers of bubble wrap and packing blankets. In the theater, it lasts in a large cooler for days. Whatever is left just has to make it until 8pm tonight.

I like the caldron idea- maybe I can put a slightly smaller bin inside a larger one with water. Thanks, talkingcatblues!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I took talkingcatblues' good suggestion and put a large canning pot of hot water in the center of a large old fashioned galvanized wash tub. I put the treat bags all around the pot and threw in some dry ice. Oooooooo! Perfect! the TOTers loved it- and some were afraid to take a treat bag!

I also tossed some pieces in the fountain in front of the house, Great sound plus eerie mist! had to stop that when it got dark since there was no light on the fountain. I have a good 20 lbs. left - cut the bags open to evaporate.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The year when I prepped for dry ice, I had coffee cans with large holes in the lid and poked into the sides. After placing the dry ice in there- I stacked the cans into a large cooler. I made a duck pond out of a HUGE BIN. The ducks were actually big plastic spiders that floated and were numbered. I just dropped a new can in every 15 minutes or so - starting with very hot water in the bin. Having and electric kettle nearby is a good idea, too.

The can makes sure that no child can touch the ice- and if you tie a cord on each can- you won't need gloves.

The effect is super-cool. the only problem was that some of the kids thought the plastic spider was the treat and tried to put it in their bags!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts