Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's the problem. I used some GE tub & bathroom clear silicone caulk for filling some minor imperfections on my ground crypt cap stone, and apparently it's a bad batch. It's been roasting in the Florida sun @ 90 degrees for just under 10 hours, and still hasn't even begun to skin over yet. Normally, it'd be paintable inside of an hour...

It actually feels like the consistency of warmed petroleum jelly at this point, and feels nearly as slick as teflon. So far, I've went though an entire roll of paper towels carefully wiping it down so as not to spread it, or as little as possible while trying to remove it. But, there is enough residue that I am sure no sealer, adhesive, etc will be able to bond to the surface.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I might get this crap off? I should note that it's on a sanded paint surface, so yeah, I'll be vacuuming my driveway forthwith to extract paper towel debris & sending GE a more than mildly irritated email directly.

·
Goats EAT Great Pumpkins
877 Posts
I *hate* clear silicon caulk. It peels, stays tacky, attracts every small particle you can imagine and needs reapplied excessively to fill in gaps because it shrinks.

HATE IT!

DAP has a product called SIlicon Be Gone (which I've used effectively on painted wood). What is the crypt cap stone made from?

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It depends on the brand/type, but for the most part I agree with your assessment on *most* clear silicone. This stuff, I've had no problems with heretofore, and I've been using it for a long time. The capstone is a wood frame, skinned with 3/4" Dow XPS foam. I'm using Glidden Gripper interior/exterior primer for the bonding coat for the sand.

I've already resigned myself to just running it back through the table saw in the morning to avoid any possible chemical reactions. Solvent pops would be a serious concern, but thanks for the recommendation. :) I just hate doing the same work twice...

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chewbacca, I'll give it a whirl in the a.m. since I already have some on hand. With any luck, maybe the residue left over will cure overnight. I hope, because luck hasn't been with me so far. I should've been spending the afternoon tea staining & dry brushing instead of...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts