Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a prime example of leaving things the way they are. I was ready to hang my wood boards yesterday and decided they didn't look aged enough so I soaked some steel wool in vinegar. I don't know what made me do it without a test spot but they didn't turn grey like everyone said, they turned more like a nice cherry wood color. I fee like crying. Any ideas how to fix this?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ehhhhh. So I got a spray bottle with water and a rag and cleaned them up. They look almost good as new, errrr or old. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah a couple things you might try.

1-This method works by reacting with tannins in the wood. If you use a softwood like pine or cedar, you'll want to paint the wood with tea first to give it sufficient tannins for the reaction to work.

2-Some steel wools come with an invisible wax-like coating that makes it so the steel never really dissolves properly into the vinegar. To address this, I actually put the steel wool on my grill, added some lighter fluid and lit it up briefly to melt off the coating. After this the vinegar solution worked fine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good tips. I had originally stained it once with a weathered oak stain. I guess the reaction with that particular stain made it reddish.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah a couple things you might try.
2-Some steel wools come with an invisible wax-like coating that makes it so the steel never really dissolves properly into the vinegar. To address this, I actually put the steel wool on my grill, added some lighter fluid and lit it up briefly to melt off the coating. After this the vinegar solution worked fine.
I just wash the steel wool pads with dish soap. Not as flashy, but it works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts