Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to get a head start for Halloween 2019. We have started to gather material, plans and concepts for the following - but we are already stuck!
Here is a brief overview:
The garage is gutted and going to have 3 individual peppers ghost illusions, synced to music.
From left to right:
1) a dancing couple of skeletons (rotating like the haunted mansion ballroom at disney)
2) a violinist (skeleton projection as well)
3) a pianist (skeleton projection as well)

The challenge we have come across is that the viewing angle (from the street) will change the positioning of the projected reflection, so the viewer cant see the whats happening and the illusion is ruined.

We thought about setting up a gazebo that restricts visbility so that viewers are forced to stand at a specific spot to see the illusion but, not sure if that is the best approach.

Does anyone have video or pics to share that show a successful execution of peppers ghost (while the prop is in motion)?

thank you in advance for all your responses.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,008 Posts
Even Disney's pepper's ghost effects are done using a restricted/controlled view. There's no other way to do so considering the nature of the effect itself, which depends on angles and perspective. It isn't best seen from a distance anyway, so it might be a good idea to have a pathway marked out, either using sturdy walls/tunnel up to the point where the TOTs can view the scene - or a gazebo that they enter from one side and then exit through the other - is a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
5,703 Posts
Pepper's ghost is all about forced perspective, and restricting viewer angle. So, what you're trying to do (if I understand right) with 3 separate illusions in the same scene will be difficult as a pepper's ghost.

However, it sounds like you really only NEED one peppers ghost for what you have. The two projectors could use scrim to project onto, you just would have the dancers as a model to create a peppers ghost if I understand your setup correctly. This could be done by placing the dancers a little back and carefully constructing the stage around them to obscure the peppers ghost 'box' The two musicians to either side would be more forward stage, respective to the audience, projected on scrim.

If all three are projections, I'd say use scrim instead all across.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I, personally, would use a scrim (as other posters have suggested). It's just too much work to align the plexiglas or whatever material you're using to reflect. Plus, you do have a viewing angle problem. Doesn't look good from oblique/side angles.

Go to Atmosfx.com, and read up on how they're doing things. I use some of their videos + bridal mesh, and it really works well.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Pepper's ghost is all about forced perspective, and restricting viewer angle. So, what you're trying to do (if I understand right) with 3 separate illusions in the same scene will be difficult as a pepper's ghost.

However, it sounds like you really only NEED one peppers ghost for what you have. The two projectors could use scrim to project onto, you just would have the dancers as a model to create a peppers ghost if I understand your setup correctly. This could be done by placing the dancers a little back and carefully constructing the stage around them to obscure the peppers ghost 'box' The two musicians to either side would be more forward stage, respective to the audience, projected on scrim.

If all three are projections, I'd say use scrim instead all across.
Definitely go Scrim! Atmos Fear FX has dancing skeletones and even a band .
https://atmosfx.com/collections/halloween/products/bone-chillers

You will still need some "perspective forcing" to hide the light beams since you should most likely will be rear projecting outward.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Don't want to be a downer, but we did a Peppers Ghost many years ago. Costly. Tight. Hardly noticable, but we had a lotta other stuff goin' on...I'm just sayin'...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate everyone's feedback, all points make sense to me.
A few things to consider:
- I believe that the back lit physical props (see Disney mansion) look much better on peppers ghost than the preset video footage that can be downloaded. I could be wrong but you have much more control over your own props vs stock footage

- Wolfman's point about 'hardly noticable' is what im most concerned about. This would be a big disappointment as there would be high cost/effort to get this going. So thank you Wolfman for the warning, could you also provide some video on the peppers ghost you did?

- I like the tarp/gazebo idea, restricting the path and visibility angles. Then consolidating the 3 separate projections into 1 (if that's possible)

Just a general question: is it acceptable to post progress on this thread as the project develops? I don't want to spam the site but I'd love to get the groups feedback and share ideas along the way.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,008 Posts
No worries about adding to this thread if it's the same subject/progress/build - we've got tons of very very long threads like that here. It helps to keep things all together anyway which is especially helpful once the subject is searched for (so someone a year from now won't have to try to track down this-subject part 1/2/3 if you put them in separate threads).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts