Halloween Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I hope someone can help....

In order to try and protect some of the props outside (and stop people getting too close, I have been trying to find some sort of halloween fencing.

Trouble is, in the UK, it seems very hard to find something decent....

on eBay.com I came across this...
Skull Pirate Light Up Fencing NEW Halloween Party BOO on eBay (end time 22-Oct-09 04:34:58 BST)

Are there any other online sites (USA that deliver to UK or UK sites) that I could try for these.

Hope someone can advise - Or at least tell me a site if there are other types of fencing available.

Want something effective, that lights up :)
Thanks
Simon

·
Registered
576 Posts
Have you thought about making your own fence? The typical fence construction is horizontal wood 1"x1/2" and vertical PVC tubes, the whole thing painted black. Lots of pictures on the forums here. Or a simple picket fence made entirely from wood.

You can always just sink 3'-4' fence poles in the ground and stretch strings of lights between them. Top with some skulls, creepy cloth, and a skeleton here and there. Folks will recognize the boundary and respect it.

Sorry to not answer your question, just posing an alternative.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Warrant
I had thought about doing posts of wood, painted and then tieing some halloween pumpkin lights around it, but at the moment I do not have time as I am away for the next 1 1/2 weeks :-(

·
Registered
174 Posts
buying a bunch of wood slats and tieing them with twine or wire, painting it all black and wrapping lights on it would take half an hour at most. (depending on how much fencing you need)

(a co-worker binding the fence)

(the fence leaning against the store front)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I guess so, but it was just something I would do if I had the time, and no other commitments.
Even though I return, I am straight back to work, and the bad part is I just do not get the time due to other personal commitments.
But its an alternative. Thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I do a simple fence with 1/2"PVC I cut 28" pieces and painted them black then I put lights on them is a slight swagging pattern. It works very well for keeping people out of my display.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
What I did was have a neighbor tearing down a weathered treated wood panel fence, and I walked off with the whole lot in-tact with screws all backed off and the like. If you can find anyone wanting their old fence down, offer to do it for free and even cart off the lot then BOOM you got your materials for your fence. Heck even keep the old screws to reuse... I did. :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
So how are you guys making your own tho? I think PVC tubing would stand up nicely in even a bit of wind, especially if you put some sort of spike in the bottom of it to stick it in the ground with. What kind of paint are you using for the PVC and the wood.. and what colors? I'd like to know what color or colors to use for a creepy graveyard surrounding fence.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
So how are you guys making your own tho? I think PVC tubing would stand up nicely in even a bit of wind, especially if you put some sort of spike in the bottom of it to stick it in the ground with. What kind of paint are you using for the PVC and the wood.. and what colors? I'd like to know what color or colors to use for a creepy graveyard surrounding fence.
If you insist on PVC I suggest sanding it rough with 60 grit, and use the Krylon paint for plastic... it LOVES PVC and dries fast. But if your wanting suggestions I would go with treated wood all-round. It's pricey when new but weathers well (stored in the open) and gives a great grey tone when seasoned.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Wow..that's a big fence! Where do you store this stuff in the off season? I'd lose quite a bit of garage for that fence + props and such. My preference for the PVC is primarily that it's pretty cheap to buy a couple long ones and cut it up, and with some paint, looks pretty decent. I don't know for sure but I would guess it's a bit cheaper than using wood for the whole thing. Couple samples I saw on here looked pretty good with PVC as posts and wood as the cross-beams.

·
The thing under the bed
631 Posts
I used old pallets. I get them for free so its cost effective. the only downfall is that they are put together very well. they will wear you out trying to pry them apart but for the price its worth it.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
Wow..that's a big fence! Where do you store this stuff in the off season? I'd lose quite a bit of garage for that fence + props and such. My preference for the PVC is primarily that it's pretty cheap to buy a couple long ones and cut it up, and with some paint, looks pretty decent. I don't know for sure but I would guess it's a bit cheaper than using wood for the whole thing. Couple samples I saw on here looked pretty good with PVC as posts and wood as the cross-beams.
Yeah storage is a pain. I have enough choking my garage as it is. I have almost a full acre of backyard, so I leave it out in the open stacked upright. All the junk that makes webs on it and rain and dirt blown onto it I leave for effect. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.