Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings Halloween forum,
First off i want to say everyone does a wonderful job with their creations.its the first time posting and the first time making a prop.Im a indie filmmaker so i need to build this prop on a low budget. I don't know where to start with this project and want to know if anyone can give me any tips on it. Now to the nitty gritty so what i have in mind is something similar to the sarlacc in star wars but of course smaller,without the tenatacles/tongue and inside a box.i just need it to have sharp teeth and make a chewing motion.i added the picture with the post. Sorry for the long post and i thank you in advance. :)

Abraham.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Around 7 inches in height and in width.i was thinking i can create a funnel like mouth and in the inside i can squeeze with my hand to make the chewing motion.i made a diagram of what i have in mind. what i need is some type of material that will be stretchy enough to press in and out and still look moist like a mouth of a creature would be. Doesn't really have to look perfect because that's not the point of the visual its just the idea of a creature living in a box and chewing the food for the character of the film.
thank you in advance.
Abraham

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
hm.... 'writhing' tentacles could me made cheaply with a simple slow motor and some bent wire.

When Filming you would want to make sure you take short cuts of the writing action then cut to another scene (screaming/struggling actor) before returning to a writhing tentacle cut, this way you don't give the viewer enough information to deduce that you've used such a simple trick.

You can enhance the illusion by making bends and repositioning the tentacles between each cut.

Alternatively you could maybe make longer cuts with a little bit of puppetry, start with the motor and wire armature for the tentacles as above, but this time make the upper part of the tentacles articulated such that you can manipulate them using fishing line thus breaking up the cyclic nature of the writhing action.

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
hm.... 'writhing' tentacles could me made cheaply with a simple slow motor and some bent wire......

...yadda yadda yadda

Hm..... strange how a couple of glasses of scotch can make something sound like a good idea however a nights sleep and some reflection makes you realise how dumb it was.... for film there are better and cheaper solutions, but since you were not interested in the tentacles anyway Ill refrain from posting them, and try and avoid coming up with 'great' ideas whilst drinking in the future

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you everyone

thanks people. mr chicken i think you got the right idea but where would there be a good place to purchase that kind of latex that can be manipulated like that.?
thank you

·
Registered
955 Posts
Wow that is a good idea !

You could get a gearmotorr wiith an arm attached and stick it below the collander. Attach the arm to the bottom and instant mouth movement. The tentacles could be placed in the holes and a little foam and latex and one hungry Sarlacc coming up. Or should I say one unfortuate victim goin down.

LOL !!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good idea

the strainer idea sounds like a good idea and i would place the latex over it with the attached teeth.great ideas from everyone. thanks for the help everyone.

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
thanks people. mr chicken i think you got the right idea but where would there be a good place to purchase that kind of latex that can be manipulated like that.?
thank you
Foam rubber can be found at a number of places-- the most accessible would be at Jo-Ann's, among the pillow stuffings. They use it for couch cushions and the like. I might buy an inch thick sheet of it and roll a piece into a cone (hot glue should hold it)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts