Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I have a large battery powered clock (like the ones you find at Big Lots). I want to make the arms turn faster but can't figure out how to attach a (reindeer) motor to the gear on the back of the clock's battery pack. If you are familiar with these, can you help?
CLOCK.jpg
CLOCKBACK.jpg

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
More batteries wired in series (you'll probably have to hit up radio shack for a battery pack) increases the voltage and thus the speed. 2 batteries, it runs twice as fast, 4 batteries, 4 times as fast. However, there is a risk of burning out the motor by doing so. You would also have to connect the battery pack backwards to make the clock run backwards, and hope it doesn't have any protection against doing so. Just use velcro to attach the battery pack to the back of the clock.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Can you just attach the arms to the reindeer motor?
Only one arm will spin if you go that route. Inside that little plastic box already hanging on the clock is a set of gears driving either two or three concentric drive shafts, one for each arm on the clock. The gears are there to drive the second hand at its proper speed, the minute hand at 1/60 the speed of the second hand, and the hour hand at 1/720 speed.

·
cheap and easy
2,292 Posts
Here's the guts of the deer motor if you open the case then the motor inside

There are other gears connected to the underside of the top ...not much help :)

So the only way I can see to do this is put a small drive gear on the shaft of the motor. It would be a lot easier if you had the motor in the picture but if you have the "deer motor" then the shalt is flat and not threaded. The motor is the above pictures have a round shaft and threaded so you could bolt a gear to it or force it over the shaft.

I'm sure I have some small gears laying around somewhere, if I can find them I will see if one will fit on the shaft. Even if that worked you would need to build a housing to hold the motor on the back of the clock and to connect to the drive box on the clock.

If you get that worked out you would still need to remove the motor in the gear box (that runs the clock now) so the gears would be free spinning and the deer motor can drive them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What about drive gears for remote control cars? There are many different sizes and most have set screws to mount them on the motors....just an idea, hope it helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts