Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all it has been some time since I have been on, life keeps getting in the way although I have been able to squeeze in a few props. I am wanting to change the color of my ghost in the window to more of a blue/green rather than the bright blue that you normally get from the black light. The reason being I flushed the house with green light last year and want to use blue light this year on the house. I think the blue lights on the house would somewhat flush out the ghost. so a contrasting color would be best. here is a picture of the house with the green floods and ghost. halloween 2012 017.jpg
here is a picture of what I would like to achieve.
fcghedstorm.jpg
My question is what is the best way to obtain the look I am wanting? I keep a small fan on the prop and it gives a rather nice effect. I am afraid paint would deplete the movement in the material to much, and cause the fabric to become rigid. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.:)

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I have not tried this, so I don't know if it will work at all...

I had a theory that maybe a ghost's color could be changed if you cut certain colors of glow sticks, and mixed the liquid in the RIT when you soak the cheesecloth. I don't know if the liquid would separate and not cover the entire bundle of cheesecloth, though.

Has anyone else tried that?

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
Never tried this & no clue if it would work but green & yellow make blue so if you're doing all green on the outside & it shines inside maybe if you put yellow on just the ghost you may get blue. I dunno. It was just the first thing I thought of when you said green & blue.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,602 Posts
Going by the looks of how the second photo is lit and shadows and such...it looks like it's not a black light being used on it, but a regular light in a tinted color angled to up light the ghost. I could be wrong, but that's how it looks to me. I've seen props lit with blue or green spotlights and they look just about like that. Possibly with a black light somewhere in the vicinity, but not directly on it, to give a bit of a glow, as well? Again, this is just a guess...or an idea that could work for you regardless, lol.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Rather than changing the light, what about adding a color filter to the windows? I would experiment with a green cellophane along with other colors to get some varied results.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WitchyKitty I have to agree I think the look of the second picture is probably just done with lighting and little or no black light. Still would like to use the glow of the black light effect if I can I'll have to play around and see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boo Who? that is an idea that I haven't thought of that's why I joined the forum, two heads are better than one.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Phosphorus glows an eerie green color. I don't know where you'd get it, but if the ghost fabric was soaked in a phosphorus solution you might get the color you want.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Another thing I haven't tried myself--but it's my understanding that the cheap glowing hairspray that's out this time of year glows green. I don't know how you'd get it all done coverage-wise without doing it while under the black light, but it's a thought. It may be too green, though.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
Phosphorus glows an eerie green color. I don't know where you'd get it, but if the ghost fabric was soaked in a phosphorus solution you might get the color you want.
Some laundry detergents have phosphorus so a good soak in Tide may help.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,826 Posts
All detergents contain phosphates (that is what makes your whites "white") but it is the blue/white glow using those.

If you can't find the green "glow in the dark" hairspray to overspray your ghost, then crushing several B-12 vitamins and dissolving into water in a fine mist spray bottle might work. B-12 is supposed to glow yellow and if you spray down your ghost with that, it should give it enough of a contrast color-wise to not compete with a blue wash outside.

Irish Spring soap and Mr Clean cleaner is also supposed to fluoresce greenish, so might look into using that to spray down as well... do some testing first tho!

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
To get another color on the ghost with a blacklight, you're going to have to paint/dye that ghost black and then paint it with UV paint.

Going to black first is ESSENTIAL.

I use wildfire paint. http://www.wildfirefx.com/products/paints/luminescent.aspx

You can get some more muted colors with the fluorescent paints. Remember, though, you're painting with the additive color wheel. Always mix under a blacklight. Dry brush it on to help control the intensity of the fluorescing.

I was able to get some greys and browns:

·
Insane
1,061 Posts
For that look it seems as if it is a blood flood light maybe because i have a 20w blue flood that gives a very light blue effect so maybe its that because its no black light involved.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys lost of good ideas here. Armed with this information I should be able to pull this off. I did plan on working on it under the black light so I can get a good idea of how its turning out before I go to far. If I can get this done in a timely manner I'll post some pics other wise may be Halloween night.

·
black light queen
2,506 Posts
have you considered highlighters?

most are fluorescent and will be black light reactive ... but unfortunately not all will fluoresce

just pull out the tube inside, and drip water through one end, catching the "run off" in a small container, then lightly spray the ghost under black light to get the effect you're looking for

amk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts