Halloween Forum banner

Help needed for charity haunted hayride

6510 Views 33 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  hallorenescene
II am in need of your help! I have been asked by a local farm to create a haunted hayride for charity. I need everyone's help to brainstorm as many ideas as possible so that I can help these nice folks make a little money for local charities and civic groups.

This all started last week when I was approached by a friend of mine that knew about my enthusiasm for the holiday, and he asked if I would help him plan this hayride for a local farm. For the last few years, these folks have had an autumn festival at their farm complete with corn mazes, rides for the kiddies, and a really nice 30 minute hayride around their farm (click HERE to see their website). They have always wanted to haunt their hayride in the evenings, but have never had the time to organize an attraction. And so, my friend and I have volunteered to organize the haunt.

The idea is that we will take the existing hayride and haunt it using volunteers from local organizations, such as the Jaycees, 4-H groups, local high school clubs, the volunteer fire department, Boy Scout troops, etc, etc. Whichever groups show up with volunteers will get to spit the ticket sales for that night.

And so, I need any and all ideas that you guys have. I know this group is always willing to help out, and I know that you guys have seen a good haunt or two. I don't have any real theme decided on yet; all I know is that I've got lots of space, and a really great farm family that is eager to put on a great show and to help their community.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
177 Posts
Thinking back on the haunted hayrides I've been on, I think you should use that long stretch to build anticipation. Get everybody nervous. Maybe some fog, distant howls or muttering voices. It's what I can't see that freaks me out the most. I remember on one hayride, we could see light around the bend or over a hill before we saw the actual scene and that seemed to build some fear. Someone working for the hayride getting pulled off the wagon or "killed" is always good for a scream or two. Or just riding along acting scared- because fear is so infectious. As for a theme? You've gotten some good original ideas from the others, the Indian burial ground- maybe make up a legend to feed the passengers. You could make up some background story, have someone say they remember that too, and have them build on the story. Etc. I'm just rambling now, anyway, good luck!

· Evil Lord of Legumes
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just what do you guys think an Indian burial ground should look like? We do have some burial mounds in the area (40-50 miles downriver at Toltec Mounds State Park), but they just look like big hills. Some are laid in geographic patterns, but you can only see that from the air. What says "hey, that’s an old Indian burial ground" to you?

Right now it looks like I've got three main themes going in my head:
1. Cannibal farmers/hillbillies out for blood
2. Indian burial grounds desecrated and the natives are out for revenge
3. A witch in the woods that used animals and zombies to attack the innocent.

What do you guys think?

· Banned
3,031 Posts
Right now it looks like I've got three main themes going in my head:
1. Cannibal farmers/hillbillies out for blood
2. Indian burial grounds desecrated and the natives are out for revenge
3. A witch in the woods that used animals and zombies to attack the innocent.

What do you guys think?
Seems like a winning combo! It doesn't have to make sense. It just has to be fun and scary.
I still think a UFO alien scene would be dope! "Dope!" "I'm showing my age!":D

· Super Moderator
6,565 Posts
Just what do you guys think an Indian burial ground should look like? We do have some burial mounds in the area (40-50 miles downriver at Toltec Mounds State Park), but they just look like big hills. Some are laid in geographic patterns, but you can only see that from the air. What says "hey, that’s an old Indian burial ground" to you?
Halloween Darksite of Uncialle, How to Haunt Page, Kid Safe

Or perhaps something akin to my little setup (though very African inspired originally)...

Picasa Web Albums - Cole - Nightfall

Better yet, some combination of the two, if you ask me.

· Evil Lord of Legumes
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks UnOrthodOx...I really dig Flat Owl. BTW, how did you get the cool glow under your burial skins? LED's? Chritmas lights?

· Registered
1,287 Posts
Some Native American tribes "buried" their dead on platforms that were about ten feet in the air... Could be a really cool scene if you had some turkey feathers and things to hang off the corner of the platform. Throw a skel up there and instant "Wow!" factor.

· Super Moderator
6,565 Posts
Thanks UnOrthodOx...I really dig Flat Owl. BTW, how did you get the cool glow under your burial skins? LED's? Chritmas lights?
A ton of $1 Christmas light strings.

Most of my mounds broke, though. Rain is not a friend to monster mud and paper mache on a mound. (the Thompson's water seal actually worked quite well, but the weight of the water puddled on them snapped em all, then it soaked into the cracks, then mush...)

· Registered
552 Posts
Well if the witch uses animals then I suggest a goat man, they look freaky and imply satanic happenings. Its a local legend from the county north of me, there is a really amazing haunted house called goatmans hollow.

and you can make the actor digitigrade stilts, did a pair for last year. Great effect in my opinion, height and goat like. Thats not me btw
Asterpix Interactive Video - Arbiter Digitigrade Stilts test, June 2008.

· Evil Lord of Legumes
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
WOOO, Goatman looks SWEET! I'll have to look around and see if I can find a good mask. Goatman will definitely need to make an appearance. Plus, axes, sickles, and other sharp implements of death are always a welcome addition.

Thanks so much for your input everybody! I can't wait to get started. Part man/part beast abominations look like a good way to go. This really gets my brain a stormin'!

What other scares have you guys seen on hayrides in the past?

· jester girl
17,967 Posts
well, i guess i'm late but, maybe next year. the haunted hayride we went on, the 2 scares i remember were, a guy hanging from the rafters kicking his feet. you were talking about giving the rules inside a barn, that could be where he is hanging. you could have for the hillbillies a feud like the hatfields and the mccalls. he could be one of the hatfields. and the second scare was suddenly out of some fog came a lady in white. a wedding gown, headed for our trailor. i don't know why but that scared me. you could have her looking for her beau, the guy hanging. and then some grab her, one jumps on the cart, you saw nothing. then later some jump on, did you see something.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.