Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Evil Lord of Legumes
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
II am in need of your help! I have been asked by a local farm to create a haunted hayride for charity. I need everyone's help to brainstorm as many ideas as possible so that I can help these nice folks make a little money for local charities and civic groups.

This all started last week when I was approached by a friend of mine that knew about my enthusiasm for the holiday, and he asked if I would help him plan this hayride for a local farm. For the last few years, these folks have had an autumn festival at their farm complete with corn mazes, rides for the kiddies, and a really nice 30 minute hayride around their farm (click HERE to see their website). They have always wanted to haunt their hayride in the evenings, but have never had the time to organize an attraction. And so, my friend and I have volunteered to organize the haunt.

The idea is that we will take the existing hayride and haunt it using volunteers from local organizations, such as the Jaycees, 4-H groups, local high school clubs, the volunteer fire department, Boy Scout troops, etc, etc. Whichever groups show up with volunteers will get to spit the ticket sales for that night.

And so, I need any and all ideas that you guys have. I know this group is always willing to help out, and I know that you guys have seen a good haunt or two. I don't have any real theme decided on yet; all I know is that I've got lots of space, and a really great farm family that is eager to put on a great show and to help their community.

· Evil Lord of Legumes
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are great ideas, guys. There is a small hay barn that we can drive through, and we are planning on having that barn stuffed with crazed farmers/zombies/whatever going nuts in there climbing all over the trailer. Pumpkin King, I like the idea of something falling on people.

I guess I should describe the ride a little better. Basically, the hayride runs through a lot of really open terrain. At one point (about half-way through) it runs down a long stretch of dirt road with barbed wire fence down each side. The end, however, has a lot of promise: it runs through an area of fairly dense woods with a several good twists and turns. I wish I had more information, but I've only just found out about this place and have ridden the route once in a pick-up truck.

Thanks to everyone who has commented so far. Keep the ideas coming!

· Evil Lord of Legumes
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not sure yet how much the owners are willing to contribute. They have said that they don't mind buying some stuff that they can use year after year, but we've never discussed actual amounts. I've only met with the owners once. But I do know that we will be able to build some props. Also, they have lots of good "stuff" we can use: it’s a working farm, so they have several generators at their disposal, a fair amount of scrap building supplies, etc.

I'm a little worried about the length of the ride. They said that the hayride lasts about 30-35minutes, and that they don't have any way to really shorten the length. I think that we have settled on not haunting the first 5-8 minutes (it consists basically of some paved road that runs along some of their fields), and then cranking it up once they get off the road.

Thanks again for all the ideas. I like the hillbilly cannibals. Maybe cannibal farm workers....with arms and legs sticking out of hay bails.....oooh I like it.

What else should I include?

· Evil Lord of Legumes
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Witchy woods, huh? I was thinking of having part of the story involve a witch. Here in the south, every corner has its own witch story. I guess I could find a local story, or invent one of my own. I would love to have a rig that would allow me to "fly" an actor at my hayriders, but I'm not sure how to do so safely. It may also be prohibitively expensive.

I've also thought about filling one part of the woods with spiders hanging everywhere from the trees. Maybe even some wrapped up victims....

· Evil Lord of Legumes
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just what do you guys think an Indian burial ground should look like? We do have some burial mounds in the area (40-50 miles downriver at Toltec Mounds State Park), but they just look like big hills. Some are laid in geographic patterns, but you can only see that from the air. What says "hey, that’s an old Indian burial ground" to you?

Right now it looks like I've got three main themes going in my head:
1. Cannibal farmers/hillbillies out for blood
2. Indian burial grounds desecrated and the natives are out for revenge
3. A witch in the woods that used animals and zombies to attack the innocent.

What do you guys think?

· Evil Lord of Legumes
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks UnOrthodOx...I really dig Flat Owl. BTW, how did you get the cool glow under your burial skins? LED's? Chritmas lights?

· Evil Lord of Legumes
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
WOOO, Goatman looks SWEET! I'll have to look around and see if I can find a good mask. Goatman will definitely need to make an appearance. Plus, axes, sickles, and other sharp implements of death are always a welcome addition.

Thanks so much for your input everybody! I can't wait to get started. Part man/part beast abominations look like a good way to go. This really gets my brain a stormin'!

What other scares have you guys seen on hayrides in the past?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.