Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi you all,

I need your help!!!!

I'm from germany and halloween is almost unknown here but the amount of people building props and decorating their houses, yards is growing year by year.

Unfortunately there a almost no descriptions on building props in german language on the internet. Therefore I decided to start a online living dictionary for those people who want to build something and aren't able to figure out / to get those things you use. I'll translate your description (if you want with link to you / your site / props - whatever you want) and find similar things / sources in germany.

And of course if you know, have or have heard about german halloween voices, please let me also know.

I also want to use, if you allow it, your tutorials, which I'll translate to german, so if you are so kind to let me do and allow it please send me a copy by pm. I'll not copy it out of your sides/ this forum without your permission to use it. I think that won't be fair. Maybe if it's possible/ if you want, I can affiliate this project to an existing forum or side and promote the linkadress in our country.

If anyone from another europeen country is also interested in doing the same for his / her country I'll try to help her / him.

for i.e:

MonsterMud - made of joint compound and latex paint - what is joint compound used for / what is it?

Cheesecloth: - cloth made out of cheese? - lol

I think you understand what I mean. Please describe everything that comes to mind! Think everything will help.

Hoping for help. I know it's not the right time beginning this, Halloween is near but perhaps you'll support me after halloween, would be kind to receive a short message (1 word is enough - will / won't). Or if you think that's nonsense you are also welcome to say it.

hellowinnie :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

First I have to say thanks that you moved this thread, I wasn't sure where to post it.

Second thank you for the link you sent me but unfortunately it solves not the problems, the explanations in there doesn't fulfill the things we need.

-> Monstermud: drywall compound? - what is that for? What are you doing with it normally? - I've to find similar products in germany.

But nevertheless many thanks for your try!!!!

Peter:)

·
Hauntless
8,377 Posts
I know what you mean. I discovered that, in Britain, they call latex paint...emulsion paint.

Drywall compound is the stuff you use to fill in the gap between drywall panels. Drywall panels are made of gypsum that come in 4' x 8' panels. It is what we use for plaster walls.

So, you are looking for a way to find equivalent products in Europe to what we use in the states?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, that answer was exactly what I meant. And yes I'm looking for a way to find those products and want to let other people know where they can get it and what it's called in germany. I want to give the people in germany a chance to rebuild your things and since I got a lot of experience building websites + forums (did that also for some business companys) I'm building a german communitysite which should contain all this information and it's using will be totally free for the users.

Drywall panels I think you mean those?:

And latex paint, emulsion paint - that kind of paint that is thinnable by water and you can use it for every surface in and outside the house?

I hope that more people read this thread in this category and that they're able to help me.

Peter

Besides when you look around this category do you think my "Help Wanted" is placed right in here, since it isn't an announcement? Would it be read by much people? Wouldn't it be better to delete it completely?

·
Hauntless
8,377 Posts
Actually, now that I have a better understanding of what you are asking, I think it would be good for this thread to be moved to 'props'. A lot more people will see it there. Okay, I'm going to move it now, don't get dizzy ;)

Yes, those are drywall panels. So drywall compound is the stuff you use to fill in the gap between them. It's like mud which is why we call the mix of latex paint and drywall compound monster mud.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many, many thanks - yes I think this is the right place for this thread and of course many thanks that you were so kind to describe "MonsterMud" to me, because now I see I was on the "wrong way" first - thought it is something much different. And that happens to many other people from here - they can't figure out what people in America mean because of the unknown names you're using.

Peter

·
Registered
63 Posts
Cheesecloth is the cloth that is used to cover cheese while it is being cured. Very loose woven cotton fabric. When dyed it can smell like old cheese ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Latex paint is the interior paint you can thin with water or wash up easily. Acrylic craft paint is the same basic thing, just thicker and more expensive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Cheesecloth is also used to make mozzarella - you put the cheese into the cloth then hang the cloth bundle to let the liquid drain. It is much like the gauze bandages that are used for medical care. Many chefs also use it to make bouquet garni.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to all of you so far. It would be rather kind if you could explain all that comes in your mind. Doesn't matter what it is, should be only halloween related. Not only for the examples I wrote.

I'll show you what I'm doing and what it is for in a few days.

Peter

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So nobody else will help me - will close this thread and try it on my own.

But many, many thanks to those people who tried to help me.

Peter

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.