Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pirate Princess
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a big huge pirate map to put on my door or window. My problem is the elements here it usually rains at least 2-3 days in October. What have you fellow haunters done? Also is there a website for anything off hand? Thanks so much.
Erin

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi Erin. For a really big map (say, just smaller than your door), what comes to mind is the brown paper rolls sold at Lowes/Home Depot for paining projects, although heavy package wrapping paper would probably work also. Then just lighten it, but not completely covering it a solid color anywhere, with the 97 cent flat white spraypaint from the same stores. This is largely to lighten the brown a bit to more of a parchment look so that it is not quite so dark and allow your markings to stand out better. Use markers or paint to create your map...perhaps customizing it to match your haunt layout. Then burn the edges (small sections at a time so you can control the amount of burn) so that the edges are not straight and look old. Tearing may work also if you don't want to mess with the flame. Lastly, when you're happy with the look, spray a couple coats of some type of flat or satin clear sealer (no gloss) over the front and back for water resistance. It probably would not be completely waterproof, but may hold up for several rains if using doublestick tape to keep the wind from getting behind it.

I think this should work but haven't tried it. If you think this would be of interest to you, I have all the items I listed and could do a square foot sample to see how it works and holds up to being sprinkled with a hose. Just PM me if interested and I can try it this weekend and post the results.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
You could tea-dye muslin fabric or a sheet to give it an aged look and then draw on it with fabric paints. Weather wouldn't harm it at all.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Here is the door cover I did last year. Muslin, latex paint, and some acrylic paint for the details. I used interior latex since it is cheaper and did not need to hold up to the elements for long.

Since you are doing a map and don't need to change the background color dramatically, Deadna's suggestion sounds good. Natural muslin may even be the color you want for the background.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i would use a canvas drop cloth and after you create the map, disress the deges and shellac over the whole think to create an aged look. If you really want to go out you could put a two part cracklelure (sp) finish on it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi Erin. For a really big map (say, just smaller than your door), what comes to mind is the brown paper rolls sold at Lowes/Home Depot for paining projects, although heavy package wrapping paper would probably work also. Then just lighten it, but not completely covering it a solid color anywhere, with the 97 cent flat white spraypaint from the same stores. This is largely to lighten the brown a bit to more of a parchment look so that it is not quite so dark and allow your markings to stand out better. Use markers or paint to create your map...perhaps customizing it to match your haunt layout. Then burn the edges (small sections at a time so you can control the amount of burn) so that the edges are not straight and look old. Tearing may work also if you don't want to mess with the flame. Lastly, when you're happy with the look, spray a couple coats of some type of flat or satin clear sealer (no gloss) over the front and back for water resistance. It probably would not be completely waterproof, but may hold up for several rains if using doublestick tape to keep the wind from getting behind it.

I think this should work but haven't tried it. If you think this would be of interest to you, I have all the items I listed and could do a square foot sample to see how it works and holds up to being sprinkled with a hose. Just PM me if interested and I can try it this weekend and post the results.

Okay, I was curious how effective my suggestion would be, so even though ELH didn't request it I decided to try it out. I followed the steps I'd outlined before, being sure to seal both sides and - especially - the torn edges. I didn't have satin clear sealer, so had to use gloss. I applied the white spray paint, marker, and first coat of sealer in about 15 minutes before going to work one morning, and the second coat of sealer a different morning. Then yesterday I gave it the water test in the sprinkler for about 30 seconds and the water just beaded up. Then I gave it the 'full treatment' under the hose for over two minutes. Again, the water beaded up and there were no obvious wet spots showing on the paper. I then tore the paper near one of the edges to see if the interior of the paper near what I considered to be one of the vulnerable areas got wet. It appeared to be dry all the way to the edge. I do like the cloth suggestion, but for those for whom a paper solution would be better, this seems to work.

Direct hose blast for over two minutes:

Water beading up on surface:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts