Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first year i am using wiper motors. I have one in a breathing grave. It is made of 2x4 and plywood. The motor is in the same area as the power supply. the power supply is an old computer supply. I have a stone on top of the area where the motor and power supply are mounted. It got hot enough to stop the motor from running. Do i need to put a fan in the box? How long can I run a wiper motor ? I really want this to work. It looks great.

·
redrum
990 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The motors get warm from use, if they are too warm to touch then its way too hot.
Make sure the load id not to much for the motor and vent you area.
the motors are almost to hot to the touch. I have a 1.5 in hole in the 2x4 to put the power cord through. I ran it last night and it stopped. I have yet to test it today to see if it still works.

·
redrum
990 Posts
the motors are almost to hot to the touch. I have a 1.5 in hole in the 2x4 to put the power cord through. I ran it last night and it stopped. I have yet to test it today to see if it still works.
Yea, something is wrong. Venting will not fix this. The motor is bad or you are working it too hard.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you running it off the 12V wire? What is the amp rating on the power supply? And can you post a picture of it that might help a bit?
I am running both motors on 5 volts.. the powersupplys are at least 180 watts. I do not know about the amps. I will post pictures soon.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
It's very possible that the power supply is causing the heat in an enclosed box, the cooling fan has nowhere to vent. Try it with the PS out of the box that contains the motor.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found out what happened to the setup. the top listing arm ripped a hole in the tarp and got stuck. i fixed it. put more gorrolla tape on the rip and tested it. it runs, but now i have figure out how to prevent it from ripping through the tarp. I have it stapled down on both sides. i don't think it is to tight.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,791 Posts
To reduce the stress on the tarp you could put a ball or wheel on the end of the cam so it disperses the pressure over a wider area whereby reducing the chance of further tearing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To reduce the stress on the tarp you could put a ball or wheel on the end of the cam so it disperses the pressure over a wider area whereby reducing the chance of further tearing.
oh. i like this idea alot. i will have to see what i can come up with to do just that. Thanks a bunch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts