Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little help....We hosted our first annual Halloween party last year at our home and it was much larger than we had anticipated. Things were broken, food on the walls, carpet trashed, etc. We're having our 2nd annual this year and I'm afraid it's going to be bigger than last year's party. Is there a tactful way to include on the invitations to respect our home? Maybe something that rhymes, in the spirit of Halloween but getting the point across at the same time? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
To be quite honest it doesn't sound like the size of your party is the problem, more the people on the list. Some of them clearly have no respect for you or your house.

I've been at large scale parties with no need for a security presence and nothing was damaged simply because the people there were known, friends, and respectful of the owner.

I'm guessing alot of the people who turn up are friends of friends and have no idea who you are and vice versa? If i'm wrong then i'd be more careful about which friends i trust and invite.

I wouldn't cutsey it up in the form of a rhyme when it comes to property damage to be honest. I'd be blunt and forward in small print saying anyone caught damaging stuff will be kicked out and if it's bad enough sought after for cost.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great idea dariuso bells! and OMGDan, you're right. It's friends of friends along with some folks in our circle that just get absolutely trashed and out of control. We have an idea of who did some of the things but the other things we didn't find until the day after so we have no idea how or why it happened. It's a touchy situation because we have a large circle of friends so to not invite everyone would be difficult for all of us. 13Mummy, I like your idea too of posting "by invite only" on the invitations. I'm still concerned because when you have 50-60 folks in your home, it's impossible to keep an eye out. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

·
Registered
189 Posts
For those of you who get out of control...
We will dig a special hole...
So keep it clean and it will save....
You spending the night in your very own grave.

·
Registered
13,783 Posts
Heck I wouldn't just throw them out I would call the cops on them and have them prosecuted for property damage. Sorry there's no excuse for the kind of treatment you and your property received last year. Find better friends and weed out those that aren't.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Honestly, after that kind of experience, I can't imagine why you'd want to do it again! Having 50-60 people come in and trash my house doesn't sound like a good time to me. I think if I couldn't seriously control who my guests were I wouldn't be having a party at all.
Really, no cute rhyme or invitation wording is gonna stop that nonsense. Some people just have no class...

·
Registered
530 Posts
I would send out the party invitations marked "by invite only"...AND I would NOT invite the people who you KNOW did damage last year. When asked "why not", be candid, specific and honest. Do not yell or anything, but offer the honest explanation. And say "people who do that are not welcome at my party." End of story. If you get appologies, and promises to be good, then consider inviting them on a "good behavior" pass...but wait until next year!

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
I agree with Leota. Some of my guests get pretty wasted but have never had anyone trash or damage anything. But if they did, the party would be over that's for sure.
But if you insist on still having it, perhaps you should rent a hall or require a deposit from everyone attending.

MsM

·
Registered
625 Posts
Maybe, you need to cut off people's consumption a little bit (Say to them they can only have so many drinks.), or you just have too many people at your party. When they are wasted, they probably don't know what they are doing, and an invitation isn't going to stop them from doing something like they did before. Having less people would be better in my opinion because than you would be able to watch them more closely.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,875 Posts
I have to agree with OMGDan - I just would be upfront and not invite those that you actually caught (or have a strong suspicion) of doing damage.

Sounds like people that have a maturity problem... and probably would prefer a college keg party anyway. ;)

I was very worried our first year (last year) and we only invited around 15 people. We ended up with almost 30, and did have some friend-of-a-friend party crashers, but everyone was really nice, and no damages at ALL.

I think I would not be considering another party if that kind of thing had happened. We are actually considering not inviting the one person that got raging/passed out drunk, as it was very worrying... especially when he insisted he was okay to drive home!:eek:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I am a bit worried too. This will be my first year throwing a party and am inviting about 30 people. We all all just out of college & I am hoping we have all grown up a bit from our college-party behavior. Hopefully it'll go well & I am worrying for nothing.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Our first party was in 1995 and that was the one and only year we had a keg. Man, that is messy business. Scrubbing floors as the sun comes up is no fun!

I definately agree with sticking to invite only. Over the 13 years of parties I have definately noticed that the more strangers that attend your party the bigger the mess. And don't feel bad either! I make no bones about reminding our friends that it is invite only and if they don't like it or don't undrstand I don't consider them that close of a friend. But it's been my experience that people understand.

I don't supply much for booze either, that seems to help.

Some other tips:
1. You can never have enough garbages. This helps from empties getting knocked over. And circle your house every so often picking up behind people.

2. Have hand towels laying around. People may be embarassed to bring a spill to your attention but if they see a towel handy they will be more apt to clean it up themselves.

3. You can also buy a roll of sticky back plastic that is made for carpet. A roll is around $50 or so, but well worth it. I get it at the local lumber yard (not a big box store type, but local that caters to builders).

Hope you have better luck this year!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts