Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I couldn't wait to start my mermaid and ended up getting a fabric torso & bought the head separately ( why oh why did I do that ) so I used great stuff to make skin which I shaved down but it still had uneven crevices then I used wood putty but there are cracks. I guess it could play into the decrepit factor ( I don't want her pretty! ) the neck is another area I'm not too sure about what to do with. I thought about using black snakes possibly ......... suggestions welcome. ( thanks for the inspiration roadkill_be )

Attachments

·
Registered
738 Posts
Malicious - thanks for sharing your mermaid prop!

I'm doing a Pirate theme this year and have just decided to also include a scary mermaid. I'm glad I found your post - perhaps we can help each other out?

She looks quite good, but the neck does look a little too long. Can you simply cut the neck down and then give her a necklace to hide the joint?

Also - where did you get the fabric torso? I was thinking of using chicken wire for mine (I built 3 kraken tentacles the same way).

Is the head a styrofoam mannequin head? She might need some carving in the mouth and eyes to give her more of an evil expression - if that's what you're going for...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Frightshow! The torso is similar to a mannequin torso but it was not hard plastic it was made of foam covered with cloth ( it had no arms which I made out of chicken wire ) It came from shopgoodwill.com. Michaels had witch hands with a half sleeve that I used for the forearm/hand part. The head is a mannequin head ( hard plastic ) I cut it once already and thought it still looked a bit too long! I'm not sure what I will find below if I cut into the face...now I am thinking maybe of building up some features with some kind of putty. The tail is chicken wire and bubble wrap

This link of another forum members mermaid helped me it may be helpful for you too!

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/136722-pirates-2014-first-prop-mermaid.html

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hi! I have not attempted a mermaid prop this large, but I was inspired by many of the Fiji Mermaid pieces that members have posted over on the Craft Forum. I found a Dollar Tree doll mermaid & tried my hand at corpsing, but I didn't really follow a strict instruction. One thing I did that I liked - I found some creepy cloth that was a cream color, rather than the normal gray or black. I cut little pieces out of the creepy cloth and used Mod Podge to attach that and pieces of torn paper towel to my mermaid. Then I dabbed on different paint colors. The tail of the doll mermaid was originally pink, and under some of the creepy cloth, you can see a little bit of that - I was going for the look of decayed, lost at sea, and I think the creepy cloth helped to add that texture that I wanted.

DSC08239.jpg

Maybe you could create some kind of seaweed necklace or shell necklace for the neck portion that you want to disguise. If you decided to go all out & apply torn paper towels and Mod Podge all the way down, it might help to unite the whole body & maybe even make it a bit sturdier. Once dried, you could probably put some spray matte finish on it to help protect it a little.

Also, I just tried working with Great Stuff for the first time & used it to age a cauldron. I found that if I sprayed a bit into my gloved hand, then I could sort of smash & smoosh it onto the cauldron surface and it gave a great textured look that I then could paint over. You can see a few pictures of it in my album of 2015 projects.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Looks like you're having the same problem we had with our Dog Soldiers werewolf. What I would suggest you do is get some JB plastic weld two-part epoxy and use it to smooth out the seams between the head, neck, body, arms, and wherever else you're transitioning from one medium to another. You might also want to use it to add some gills to the side of her face.

Once all that is done and smoothed out, get you some spray rubber at a home store. This is the rubber in a can that you spray on stuff to stop leaks (as advertised on TV, but cheaper at Home Depot, Walmart, etc.) Spray a couple of coats over the whole figure, and this will give it a nice uniform leathery texture so you won't be able to tell what's what underneath. Then start painting the rubber however you desire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts