Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im putting my Halloween Wedding scene "Til Death Do Us Part" in front of the garage this year so my question is how do I get these curtains up over my garage door. Any suggestions from you brilliant folks would be much appreciated. I live in a Rental so I cant do permenant damage. I want this to be the back drop for my bride and groom.

wedding scene.jpg

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
https://www.pinterest.com/berniceeast/til-death-do-us-part/

this is the link to how I want it to look. I have other back drop pics saved but only for the columns or isle runner. I thought the curtains would be the cheapest way to go. I could reuse them for something else later. I wouldn't use an actual garden arch again at my current house. Any other suggestions are very welcome also.

·
Registered
322 Posts
What about Command Hooks? They might be strong enough to hold sheer curtains and a small rod. I used something like that for a baby shower once.

Reactions: booswife02

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I would be so happy with the spring loaded rod method but I think the garage is to wide.
Im thinking I will try the command hooks on both sides of the garage and string the curtains up with a rope. I just hope it holds
I do have a gutter but im thinking that the curtains would hang to far out from the garage and they would blow around a lot from the wind.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would put the curtains on a rod. Keep the rod in the garage and feed the curtains over the top of the door to the outside. The rod should hold the curtain up. I think this will work if there is enough room between the top of the door and the frame. Good luck.

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh, duh.....I didn't even think about leaving the garage door up and putting the curtains up. I can weight the bottom of the cutains down with rocks or something so they don't blow around. Im going to go check and see if this can be done. Thanks so much for your suggestion

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,254 Posts
oh, duh.....I didn't even think about leaving the garage door up and putting the curtains up. I can weight the bottom of the cutains down with rocks or something so they don't blow around. Im going to go check and see if this can be done. Thanks so much for your suggestion
lol ya I was not sure if you wanted it up but that way you don't have to worry about as much wind and rain and can then close it to . can not wait to see this

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
How long are you putting the scene up for? Are you planning to use your garage during that time?

My plan of attack might be to make a wood frame using 1x2s and paint it white. Make it so it 'snugs' in the garage doors. I've done something similar for other doorway or window frame decorations. You could then attach some kind of thin pole to the inside of that.

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hilda it will just be up for Halloween Day and Night. We have bad weather and wind here in MN.
I'm thinking this will be the best choice.
My garage is full of stuff and I don't want people seeing in. The curtains are white so Lifting the garage door won't work. I had planned on a garage haunt this year but our house is so small here we need it for storage :/
Maybe the small pvc pipe? Or would 1x2 be better?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I don't know how much you want to put into this but my thought was making columns out of cardboard-y forms for concrete. It's not too hard to weight the bottoms, and they should have no trouble holding up a length of pvc or 1x2 "curtain rod".
Here's just one example of them.
http://gallery.weddingbee.com/photo/homemade-columns/

It looks like it will be a great set! I hope we get decent weather!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Oh, on second look, I see you have a set-up with that style of columns pinned! There you go! I think that's what I'd try if it were me. I'd tuck them against the garage door frames for extra support and wind protection, just in case.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
OH SNAP! This just came to me. What are your garage doors made of?!?!?! If they are metal. You can use magnets to hold very sheer curtains up!!
I made these plastic bat silhouettes stay on my doors by putting adhesive metal squares on the backs of them.
That would be pretty easy and you can take them down quickly too.

Bat Silhouette.jpg

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,254 Posts
This looks amazing Hilda I love the bays and the skull head garland did you make the skulls ?
OH SNAP! This just came to me. What are your garage doors made of?!?!?! If they are metal. You can use magnets to hold very sheer curtains up!!
I made these plastic bat silhouettes stay on my doors by putting adhesive metal squares on the backs of them.
That would be pretty easy and you can take them down quickly too.

View attachment 241033

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
Booswife, just an fyi, you have a decapitated guy from Oriental Trading on your Pinterest page. I bought him and he's real bad quality. There's no substance to it except for the head, which is pretty cool. I had to take him apart and just use the head as a torso prop. He does not work as is in the photo.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts