Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the right section of the forum, but maybe someone can help me out anyway. So, this year the theme for our living room is “The Dollmaker”. We’ll have lots of creepy dolls, of course, but I’m trying to find some creepy doll things to hang on the walls. On two separate occasions earlier this year, I saw the perfect creepy doll paintings at thrift stores. They definitely looked like they were from the 70s (maybe 80s at the very latest, but definitely not earlier than the 70s), done in that typical painterly style of the era, with big eyes on the dolls. There were definitely part of a series, since I’ve seen two or three different ones, and each one just has a doll posing upright, as if a live person. The ones I saw weren’t original paintings, just copies that were cheaply mass produced as plaques (maybe measuring three feet long vertically and 18” horizontally?) to be hung in a child’s room.

I didn’t buy them either time I saw them, because, although I knew they were cool, I just couldn’t think of what exactly I would do with them (and when you buy as much junk as I do, you have to have clear justification for bringing more into the apartment.) Now I keep image searching and eBaying and all I’m coming up with is Holly Hobby! I feel like these paintings can’t be that uncommon, since I saw them twice in such a short time period. Does anyone here know what I’m talking about?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I waded through probably thousands of Google image search results, but couldn't find what I was looking for. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Not sure what exactly you're looking for but if you Google "big eye prints" and check under images, you'll find lots of these older prints.

As well, over the last several years, many newer artists have adopted this Gothic big eye look in their art.

I have this one by Angelina Wrona that I hang on Halloween - its called appropriately "Single Again"

Single again.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help! Searching with the phrase “big eye” got me a lot closer to what I was looking for. I didn’t find the exact paintings I had in mind, but this definitely sets me on the right track.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,480 Posts
The Keanes are the artists you're thinking of, specifically Margaret Keane, that do the "big eye" paintings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Keane

http://keane-eyes.com/

Tim Burton is making a movie about the couple, Margaret & Walter Keane, starring Amy Adams as Margaret. It's called, rather appropriately, "Big Eyes."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts