Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall some time back coming across some photos of a haunted/ poisoned/ spoiled food stand someone did. I think it was here might have been elsewhere. Did a couple of different key word searches with no luck finding them. If someone recalls the thread please point me in the correct direction.

If not I'll take ideas... of course there is the usual poisoned apples and moldy oranges... and maybe "maggoty" cabbage but what else????

Doing a big potluck thing this year and the place has a large kitchen area so we want to do up a variety of baskets filled with nasty non edible fruits and veggies...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Ok, that I don't remember but it's an interesting idea. Kind of like the abandoned refrigerator, but less queasy-making.

I'd say hit up a thrift store for some old-timey strawberry baskets, crates, bushel baskets and stuff like that. Then go to town on some plastic fruit - corpse it, melt holes in it, paint bruises, leave a trail of pumpkin guts... Carve a pumpkin a month ahead of time and get some authentic smells? (No? Just me that typically but accidentally leaves 'em too long??) Make a nasty puddle out of brown colored glue or something like some of it's liquidized, maybe spill it down over the table edge. Big jar of pickled eggs or eyeballs or something.

Make a zombie running the stand? Glass-front payment box full of fingers? Skeletons working the pumpkin patch, picking corn, or hiding out in a vineyard?

So many options!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
This seems like a cool idea that would be fun to create. I tried searching with numerous different wording but seem to only be pulling up a lot of ideas for gory looking real food or events for different actual farms. I agree with the fruit basket idea set up on a visual slant like you would see at a farmers market. I know the dollar tree has some fake fruit. I think they also have bags of the mossy bigger foam rocks that might be easily transformed into rotten potatoes. And I really like those apples, Hilda. I tried figuring out where I might be able to purchase those but am having no luck with that either. How were you able to purchase them?

1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know I did not imagine it - somewhere I know I saw photos of a fruit/veggie cart I know it had poisoned apples and some kinds of "heads" of lettuce. I've already started finding little baskets to hold my produce and I'll start nabbing fruit from the DT to yuk up. But I'm at a lose what to do beyond the typical apples, oranges and cabbage. I suppose to I can allow some potatoes to "grow" but what can I do to toxicfy things like grapes, radishes, bananas, melons... what's scary about parsnips and turnips?

·
Registered
14,087 Posts

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Hilda. I tried figuring out where I might be able to purchase those but am having no luck with that either. How were you able to purchase them?
I looks for the maker of those awesome apples cant find him Hilda can you help us and push us to the right directions ? thank you so much I love how they look on you shelves
I'd be happy to!! Virgil is very talented. I can't believe he has not opened an etsy store yet.
His only contact would be via Facebook to his personal page. If you send him a message, it would probably go in his 'other' folder. I can tell him to check if you let me know if you messaged him.

https://www.facebook.com/virgil.taylor.338?fref=ts

He did a bunch of different fruits. AND a killer pumpkin. LOL

10502539_1057688040915402_2388203510251986099_n.jpg

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
A 3D version inspired by The Annoying Orange show characters no doubt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Annoying_Orange

A while back I had bought and posted a photo of this weird plush grinning fruit I found in Goodwill's toy section. People here recognized it immediately! Had never heard of the show before. Very funny. Virgil's mouthy fruit are well done. I have a witch's spell tree with "all-seeing" apples on it in my project bin. Similar thing but different body part. All great fun.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Wow Hilda those fruits and vegies by Virgil Taylor are spectacular! I'm thinking of doing a "garden (party) of evil" theme this year - those would look great!

Are they made out of foam?
Yes. I believe they are foam. They are super lightweight. They are like any dollar store or craft store fake fruit. He creates the teeth and mouth from dental resin? (Don't quote me on that. I think I remember that is what he said.)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'd be happy to!! Virgil is very talented. I can't believe he has not opened an etsy store yet.
His only contact would be via Facebook to his personal page. If you send him a message, it would probably go in his 'other' folder. I can tell him to check if you let me know if you messaged him.

https://www.facebook.com/virgil.taylor.338?fref=ts

He did a bunch of different fruits. AND a killer pumpkin. LOL

View attachment 240246
Hilda, I messaged him through facebook. Thanks.

1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 20 Posts