Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a little Halloween art collection and I recently added a new piece by an artist called Philip W. Smith. The lady I bought the illustration from wasn't certain of its origin, however she felt that it was most likely c. 1970s and was most probably used in a magazine such as 'Jack and Jill'.

I'd be most appreciative for any leads :)

P.S. If there is a more suitable spot for this post to go, can I please ask one of the mods to move it? Thanks!

Attachments

Typical Ghoul Next Door
The style definitely looks familiar to many types of children's books/magazines from that time period. But that does mean it will be difficult to track down. I would suggest researching the artist too, there is a chance they might either still be alive to let you know, or someone that collects their artwork might have a good idea of what publications they regularly appeared in. You could also send an enquiry (email) to the publications you have any information on that he may have illustrated for and a date range and see if the magazines might have someone on staff that could research it for you (or have it in a database).

Lovely art!

Welcome to the forum! :)

Registered
There are apps that you can have a picture of anything searched, the only one I know of is "CamFind". I don't quite know how it works but a few years ago I bought a framed painting/collage that was kind of odd but nice that had a photo of an elderly woman with a shotgun(!) and various objects. My daughter took a picture of it with her phone and it ID'ed the woman in the photo. Turns out she had the nickname of "Cougar Annie" and had moved her family from Sacramento to a remote Vancouver Island location and had quite a reputation. I'm not sure if it only identifies photos of actual people or not but it, or one like it might work.

His name is Roger Clyne
Welcome to the forum! I wish I could help but all I can add is my opinion that it's an awfully cute piece of art. I hope someone can help or you find out more.

Registered
The way the kids faces are drawn and colored seems really familiar. I read this post a couple of days ago and have been wracking my brain trying to remember where I've seen it. There is a kids magazine thing called Highlites ( Highlights?) that my dentist kept in his waiting room when I was little, so the early 1980's. I feel like it was that but I'm not sure.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
The way the kids faces are drawn and colored seems really familiar. I read this post a couple of days ago and have been wracking my brain trying to remember where I've seen it. There is a kids magazine thing called Highlites ( Highlights?) that my dentist kept in his waiting room when I was little, so the early 1980's. I feel like it was that but I'm not sure.
I feel the same way - it looks soooo familiar! I'm sure one day I'll find out and it'll be a forehead smacking moment of "Of course it's from..."

Thanks everyone for your help - I'm going to give that app a try :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts