Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspiration finally struck this morning about what to do for 2021 with one minor hiccup and I need some help if anyone is willing to share an idea.

In 2019, Halloween was rained out and I had planned to do a small pumpkin patch set up with the witches. I’m expanding that idea for 2021 and turning my front yard into a walkthrough witch’s garden/farm. So, I have a black widow prop and I’m doing fresh eggs with her spiders, pumpkin patch with the scarecrows and skeleton critters, a poison apple orchard, skull flowers with skull flower seeds (just crafted sunflowers with skulls) which is all great until we get to Venetian Victoria.

I would love to give her some sort of blue, cold ghastly flower/fruit/vegetable but I’m hitting a wall on what to put with her. I did pain some ghost fruit which were fine but too small. I’m willing to craft whatever it is but it’s gotta be visible.

Can anyone think of anything to put with her? I’m stuck! Thanks in advance!

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,294 Posts
While the only naturally blue flowers I can think of at the moment are chicory and bachelors buttons, the blooms would probably be too dainty. I'd suggest roses in whatever shade of blue you prefer with maybe some black ones and some silvery foliage mixed in. Maybe drape some cobwebs over the top for effect.

The only bluish fruit/vegetables I can think of are blueberries and eggplant. Maybe an evil eggplant?

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,534 Posts
Rotten Eggplant. :D

I love the idea of the roses tho. I made some eyeball flowers many years back that might be easy but creepy for you. If you can create a few simple trellis structures and get some cheap fake vines, you could do cry-ming (climbing) roses with some nicely placed fake flowers wired in. I could see running some twinkle rice lights into the vines or depending on how detailed you want to get, you could use ping pong balls over some LED lights and paint or glue pupils on them for glowing eyeball centered flowers.

^what I did and yeah, so simple but this was right before eyeball plants were EVERYWHERE so I like to think I was ahead of the curve.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Thistle would be cool, it's unique. There's a ton of it on Amazon, depending on what shade you're going for. You could wrap it with Spanish moss for more impact.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While the only naturally blue flowers I can think of at the moment are chicory and bachelors buttons, the blooms would probably be too dainty. I'd suggest roses in whatever shade of blue you prefer with maybe some black ones and some silvery foliage mixed in. Maybe drape some cobwebs over the top for effect.

The only bluish fruit/vegetables I can think of are blueberries and eggplant. Maybe an evil eggplant?
I had not considered eggplant!I had considered blueberries which essentially got me to “glowing boo-berries” and thought maybe if I somehow made small bushes and got ghost shaped lights in some color I could make them “berries”. Not a ground breaking idea but doable.

Roses could work too. I wonder if I could light them somehow with a kind of twinkle LED. 🤔

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rotten Eggplant. :D

I love the idea of the roses tho. I made some eyeball flowers many years back that might be easy but creepy for you. If you can create a few simple trellis structures and get some cheap fake vines, you could do cry-ming (climbing) roses with some nicely placed fake flowers wired in. I could see running some twinkle rice lights into the vines or depending on how detailed you want to get, you could use ping pong balls over some LED lights and paint or glue pupils on them for glowing eyeball centered flowers.

^what I did and yeah, so simple but this was right before eyeball plants were EVERYWHERE so I like to think I was ahead of the curve.
Love the flowers! And yes I could get the plastic eyeballs and probably fit them over lights. Right now I do only have one flower but this morning I woke up wanting to somehow craft Wolfsbane. And spooky/creepy is okay I’m just not a big fan of gore.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thistle would be cool, it's unique. There's a ton of it on Amazon, depending on what shade you're going for. You could wrap it with Spanish moss for more impact.
And thistle is a very common plant here where I live. Love it and it’s kinda evil cause you don’t want to step on it! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You may have solved this already, but I wanted to add that there are some light blue pumpkin varieties, such as Jarrahdale or Blue Hubbard squash. Some craft stores sell plastic/foam versions of them, but you could also paint or make some. Also, a bigger flower that can be blue are hydrangeas, and they grow in large bushes so you could make them realistically noticeable that way, rather than just the flower stems. Morning glory vines can also grow naturally in a shade of blue, so if you wanted a vine kind of look, that would work. I also like the idea already mentioned about using some silvery leaves with the blue - I'd spray paint artificial leaf stems for that to help bulk up whatever blue items you decide on. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts