Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ghouls Rule
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the Grandin Road Headless Guy so I need a horse prop to go with him. If you dont know what he looks like he is a standing rigid foam prop. So I will need a standing horse or the front half of a horse prop to go alongside him.

I dont know anything about pneumatics or building anything super elaborate, just something relatively believable and not too cheesy. My mind keeps going to cheesy, like a cartoony horse Halloween mask and building some kind of armature around it with cardboard and mache. Or a fabric stuffed type horse.

I guess those ideas are good, but am hoping someone might have nicer ideas for me. materials I was thinking of using can be any combo of, hot glue, spray glue, plushy stuffing, fabrics, paper mache, cardboard, tape. I dont have materials or money for wood, monster mud or pvc (at least not much pvc maybe can do a little).

Thanks in advance for your inputs! I really need your advice here :)

·
>^..^<
795 Posts
Just the front half looking around a corner or something would save you some work! If you think you might not have time to build a realistic horse for this year, maybe you could make a paper mache or cardboard skeleton one? These builds used wood and foam, and did it up really elaborately, but something might be doable from paper mache and cardboard.

http://www.enslin.com/rae/h.o./horse/horse01.html

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/115444-steed-abiagor.html

Mask and armature wouldn't be the worst either - buy one of those horse head masks, paint it black, and make sort of a ghost horse fabric drapy body? You could light up the eyes from the inside - might look cool.

http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/mb-horse-mask/

·
Registered
202 Posts
I used a horse mask with flickering candles where the eyes would be and then attached the mask/horses head to a stake in the ground.. Then I used a piece of grapevine bent in a upside down U where the body would be and ran a stick from the head to the grapevine..and then draped black dyed painters tarp over it with the bottom cut up and slit so it covered the whole body...I made it 8ft tall and it scared the helicopter out of all the kids and even some of the adults...with a fog machine under it..it was great! if you want to add another effect put a small fan under it on low..it will make the cloth move slightly.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pretty good ideas everyone. I think Ive come up with a way to do it, but before I can dive in I need a background to go with the scene and after going to each Dollar Tree and Dollar General in my area they just didnt have the backgrounds I need. This one; So my horse plans may be on hold until I can get a background, need at least 5 packages of these and they are nowhere to be found in my area. :(
100_0864.jpg

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Since we are running out of time to build a horse worthy of that great statue I would just put one of those kids horseheads on a stick things in his hand for laughs. OR use one of the horsey costumes that are on suspenders and it sits around the waist :)

·
Ghouls Rule
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol thats too funny :)

Since we are running out of time to build a horse worthy of that great statue I would just put one of those kids horseheads on a stick things in his hand for laughs. OR use one of the horsey costumes that are on suspenders and it sits around the waist :)

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Just go with the frame....if you don't have time.

I finished this one last year with monster mud, but easily could have gotten away with just painting it black as it was. Homestead Haunts thread was what I used for a basic tutorial and then made my own modifications

·
Ghouls Rule
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pretty cool horse Scatterbrains, but I think its much more involved than I have time/money for atm.

GobbyGruesome, that idea might actually work. I like it alot because of the prop it needs to go with, might fit the look better. Now I have to research the best way to either create a light/shadow thing or just a black outline painted on the background or something. Maybe do something with the large black foam sheets from Dollar Tree, the ones kids use for science project displays.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Well the nice thing about shadows is you can cast big shadows with little hunks of paper or wood or whatever. There was someone in the area who just made little one foot plywood cutouts of a witch and a cat, painted them black and stuck a floodlight in front of them and they cast huge shadows on the house. That was their full display and it looked pretty cool.

But you need someplace for shadows to land.

Scatterbrains' horse looks pretty awesome though!

·
Ghouls Rule
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would need to project into a small space, maybe use one of the pin lights from the Dollar Tree and uplight a little cutout. Still need my back grounds but at least I feel better about the horse idea. Ill try it out tomorrow :) thanks for the idea, I would never have thought of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts