Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Texas, and have just recently discovered that it takes a permit for me to purchase/own glass lab equipment.

What I'm hoping to accomplish is a reasonable facsimile of the classic movie style chem lab setup. bubbling furiously with all sorts of strange liquids moving about. Now I've got a pretty good idea how to accomplish most of the effect part of it, and I have a few pieces of glassware that look labesque, I'm just looking for ideas on how to replicate the look of flasks and distillation units. Out of plastic or glass. I plan to use an aquarium pump for the bubble...as well as dry ice. and I'll use a swiffer wet jet motor for the movement of the liquids...probably on some sort of randomized circuit. So...any ideas that my fellow Halloweeners can toss this way are welcome.

Thanks,

Robby

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Thank the meth cookers for that permit problem.

Buy plastic. I know there are plastic facsimiles of a fair bit of laboratory glassware. IIRC, the store chain I've seen them in most frequently has been Christmas Tree Shops.

Also, there is the option of an electrically based lab theme, using things like a jacob's ladder, tesla coil, plasma sphere, etc. That would let you go the machinery root and you can build a transformation chamber that Dr. Jeckyl can step into and Mr. Hyde will burst out of.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank the meth cookers for that permit problem.

Buy plastic. I know there are plastic facsimiles of a fair bit of laboratory glassware. IIRC, the store chain I've seen them in most frequently has been Christmas Tree Shops.

Also, there is the option of an electrically based lab theme, using things like a jacob's ladder, tesla coil, plasma sphere, etc. That would let you go the machinery root and you can build a transformation chamber that Dr. Jeckyl can step into and Mr. Hyde will burst out of.

Oh yeah...I know to thank the meth cooks. I've been to a couple websites that gave that as the express reason.

As far as the Dr. Jekyll theme goes...I lean more toward Frankenstein. I called it Dr. Jekyll, because it was an easier explanation for what I was looking for. And I do have some of the electrical props. I mainly wanted the chemistry setup for a greater degree of ambiance. It's my goal to transform my garage into a laboratory. For Halloween of course. I've just always loved the look of a bubbling chemistry experiment in the background...along with the electrical. Thanks for your input...i'll check out the site you said.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
I bought some beakers and Erlenmeyer flasks last year that were clear plastic. Bought some from Target and 99 Cent Only Stores; and places like Walgreens or Walmart had them in the candy aisle filled with candy. After the kids go back to school, they'll start putting out the halloween candy first so you might find some that way. They also had test tubes in plastic that were filled with some kind of candy item.

BTW if you are using dry ice you might end up cracking glass or plastic items. And getting someone burned from the ice itself. Use with care or see if a mister you place in water could give you a similar effect.

Was it baking soda when added to vinegar would bubble up? Been a long time since science class. OK here's a volcano science project video that also uses dishwashing liquid and a colorant. Might get some ideas from that. I'd suggest avoiding the capped bottle explosion experiments to avoid anyone getting injured.

You could take a test tube or flask and cork it and add clear plastic tubing to a hole in the top and loop it around to connect to another such container. The tubing can be found at Home Depot and such. Use the strong percentage of alcohol to remove the lasered printing on it off. I picked up a nice microscope from a toy section. If it's some weird toy color you can always plastic spray paint it black and silver. I also picked up in a Toy section a Discovery tornado lab, battery operated and works kind of like a blender. I thought it would look cool spinning a colored solution around. I'll modify the base that the kids see to make it look less like a toy. Found both of my science toy items at discount stores like ROSS DRESS FOR LESS and TUESDAY MORNING for a less than Target.

You could always have lab rats in cages. I bought a few of those hamster toys that run around in a little plastic wheel, called Happy Hamster Wheel Runner. I'm dressing him up to look more like a mouse and using silver plastic spray to turn the tacky toy wheel into some thing that looks more like a metal wheel. Here's an ebay listing for one, price could be all over the place. Another listing from ToysR Us.

As you can tell I like animation in my lab.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought some beakers and Erlenmeyer flasks last year that were clear plastic. Bought some from Target and 99 Cent Only Stores; and places like Walgreens or Walmart had them in the candy aisle filled with candy. After the kids go back to school, they'll start putting out the halloween candy first so you might find some that way. They also had test tubes in plastic that were filled with some kind of candy item.

BTW if you are using dry ice you might end up cracking glass or plastic items. And getting someone burned from the ice itself. Use with care or see if a mister you place in water could give you a similar effect.

Was it baking soda when added to vinegar would bubble up? Been a long time since science class. OK here's a volcano science project video that also uses dishwashing liquid and a colorant. Might get some ideas from that. I'd suggest avoiding the capped bottle explosion experiments to avoid anyone getting injured.

You could take a test tube or flask and cork it and add clear plastic tubing to a hole in the top and loop it around to connect to another such container. The tubing can be found at Home Depot and such. Use the strong percentage of alcohol to remove the lasered printing on it off. I picked up a nice microscope from a toy section. If it's some weird toy color you can always plastic spray paint it black and silver. I also picked up in a Toy section a Discovery tornado lab, battery operated and works kind of like a blender. I thought it would look cool spinning a colored solution around. I'll modify the base that the kids see to make it look less like a toy. Found both of my science toy items at discount stores like ROSS DRESS FOR LESS and TUESDAY MORNING for a less than Target.

You could always have lab rats in cages. I bought a few of those hamster toys that run around in a little plastic wheel, called Happy Hamster Wheel Runner. I'm dressing him up to look more like a mouse and using silver plastic spray to turn the tacky toy wheel into some thing that looks more like a metal wheel. Here's an ebay listing for one, price could be all over the place. Another listing from ToysR Us.

As you can tell I like animation in my lab.

Thanks a lot! :)

I've always shunned plastic in the past, and screw top containers, and have only made peace with the idea of using it for my setup over the past week. I actually have some of the plastic test tubes from target, complete with handy holding rack. I didn't think to look for flasks. My main problem is, that I've got a specific look in mind (think medieval alchemy, or Mr. Ages' lab from "The Secret of NIMH") with the old style distillation bulb flasks and such. But as always, what I have in mind, isn't what I'm able to afford or find. And, I kind of wanted the real setup to actually use for the distillation of essential oils...it's just too much red tape to go through for it though.

I always think safety. I have two small children, and wouldn't want to do anything to hurt them or someone else. plus, I've worked with dry ice for several years, so I'm no stranger to it. And, I don't plan for this setup to be accessible to anyone anyways... just in the back of the lab, to add extra dimension.

The hamster idea, reminded me of a spook house that I hosted several years ago. In the infinite wisdom of youth, I bought two white rats from a local pet store, and put them in a bird cage filled with fake blood and a fake hand. Not a good idea....let's just say, they didn't make it.

I will definitely be on the lookout for the candy filled stuff as you mentioned. Once I finally assemble my set, I'll be sure and post some pics on this thread...or to my gallery.

thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Here's a thread I started back in 2009 that shows the lab candy Walmart was selling then: http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/81449-interestingly-shaped-halloween-candy.html I see this kind of candy packaging each year at different places. Now that I think of it I've bought clear acrylic petri dishes, again some candy idea, from Target in the past. Pretty sure it even came with tweezers.

Now that I know someone is looking for this I'll keep an eye out in my area. I shop at alot of national chains so if I find it here chances are good your area gets it in too. BTW do live you in an area where there's a 99 Cent Only Store? They are in Texas. I picked up lab items there for halloween last year. Here's their website for location check: http://www.99only.com/

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a thread I started back in 2009 that shows the lab candy Walmart was selling then: http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/81449-interestingly-shaped-halloween-candy.html I see this kind of candy packaging each year at different places. Now that I think of it I've bought clear acrylic petri dishes, again some candy idea, from Target in the past. Pretty sure it even came with tweezers.

Now that I know someone is looking for this I'll keep an eye out in my area. I shop at alot of national chains so if I find it here chances are good your area gets it in too. BTW do live you in an area where there's a 99 Cent Only Store? They are in Texas. I picked up lab items there for halloween last year. Here's their website for location check: http://www.99only.com/
There are no 99 cent only stores around where I live. We have a dollar tree, which kind of sucks, and there's a 99 cent and up store, from which I purchased an interesting looking candle holder last year.I've found over the years that some candle holders meet the specs of some of the props I look for.

I would appreciate your help toward the location of prop parts.

Thanks,

Robby

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
genius, no permits there fore no more meth!

i'm guessing they don't need permits in new mexico ... after all that is where breaking bad is based out of ... they desperately need to take a page out of texas' playbook

/[sarcasm]

amk
Yeah, it's more than a little ridiculous

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love laboratory themed haunts! Check out American Science & Surplus if you are still looking for odds and ends. (Google them and the site pops right up) They sell over-runs or imperfect lab and medical supplies. Real glass funnels, beakers, grads, test tubes, bunsen burners, petri dishes, distillation kits....etc. And lab equipment is just a small portion of what's available too. Other things they have are small motors, plexi-glass, wiring, odd batteries, robot parts... too many goodies to list. There might be some materials to help with the Frankenstein part of your haunt. Good luck!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I got this from a Craiglist score:

http://www.amazon.com/Scientist-Halloween-Haunted-House-Prop/dp/B000IDD0Q0/

It's kinda overpriced when new, but the beakers and flasks are big and realistic. I also got some of the beakers from the 99 Cents Only store, and those are cool also. I'll have to keep my eye open for the Wal-Mart candy beakers.

You can get test tubes from Amazon for cheap. Search for "test tube shots," they're sold for parties. Here's one example:

http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Assorted-Color-Plastic-Test/dp/B004H2SAKO

Also, I've been using this as my primary vinegar this year, and saving the bottles. Remove the label and you've got a nice glass flask:

·
Registered
503 Posts
I love the "mad scientist" idea. I have a Dr. Shivers though I have re-purposed him to be a mortician. I re-labelled his science beaker "embalming fluid" to stick with my theme. I was also able to get empty (used) funeral fluid bottles through a friend in the business. Filled them with water and PGX (a fibre that solidifies) and then insert different colored glow sticks to illuminate them.

I would try to find a doctors bag (or similar looking woman's bag/purse) that you could "age". A tray (small cookie sheet works good) with some forceps, scalpels, pill bottles etc (try princess auto for forceps, tool picks).

doctor-bag2.jpg

As for beakers, tubes etc., I think plastic is the way to go - harder to break and easier to store.

Another couple of suppliers
www.labdepotinc.com/c-46-laboratory-plasticware.php
www.scilabware.com/Flasks/c-1-54/

Google image searches are helpful too for ideas. Examples:
pinterest.com/wikathie/halloween-mad-scientists-hospital/
propnomicon.blogspot.ca/2010/11/laboratory-props.html

Lighting is important too for the whole creepy lab look. One or two of those "reproduction" Edison light bulbs would be great.

lightbulbrepro.jpg

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
I love laboratory themed haunts! Check out American Science & Surplus if you are still looking for odds and ends. (Google them and the site pops right up) They sell over-runs or imperfect lab and medical supplies. Real glass funnels, beakers, grads, test tubes, bunsen burners, petri dishes, distillation kits....etc. And lab equipment is just a small portion of what's available too. Other things they have are small motors, plexi-glass, wiring, odd batteries, robot parts... too many goodies to list. There might be some materials to help with the Frankenstein part of your haunt. Good luck!
This is probably my favorite website for Halloween props and supplies. Lots of neat stuff. The only downside is a lot of their stuff is surplus, so when it's gone, it's gone.

If you have them there, check out Hobby Lobby or Michaels. They sell all kinds of odd-looking vases and glassware that may work for that "mad scientist" look. Also, check out any local Salvation Army or thrift stores. They often have bottles, jars, and other types of glassware that may also work for you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool, I'll definitely be hitting this place up. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got this from a Craiglist score:

http://www.amazon.com/Scientist-Halloween-Haunted-House-Prop/dp/B000IDD0Q0/

It's kinda overpriced when new, but the beakers and flasks are big and realistic. I also got some of the beakers from the 99 Cents Only store, and those are cool also. I'll have to keep my eye open for the Wal-Mart candy beakers.

You can get test tubes from Amazon for cheap. Search for "test tube shots," they're sold for parties. Here's one example:

http://www.amazon.com/Piece-Assorted-Color-Plastic-Test/dp/B004H2SAKO

Also, I've been using this as my primary vinegar this year, and saving the bottles. Remove the label and you've got a nice glass flask:

Thanks for the links to the plastic flasks and beakers...I hope that they still have some in stock when I have the money to buy some.

I actually have a bottle of the vinegar in my pantry. Excellent.

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
220.jpg

Here is a product that I found at Walgreens. They're kind of short, but they still look really flask like. Hope to find more stuff like this as time goes on and Halloween gets closer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does it matter if you are buying used stuff. I can see if you are trying to buy new. I would hit evilbay if you can.
I have no qualms about buying used. I'm just looking for whatever I can find that is within my budget, and looks the part.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts