Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I found this amazing mirror recently and am starting its transformation. I can't decide though... Do I leave some of the original antige gold peeking thru or go all black? Here are pics of it original and so far (with the gold still showing some.) What do you all think??? Help me decide.
Original
image.jpg
Still some antique gold
image.jpg

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point Oojen, but my decor could go either way.
The more I stare at it, the more I believe that it coordinates with a pair of plastic 3 candle each wall hangings that I already own. Have to dig them from the attic to check. Those are currently full black - so assuming I keep the gold them may need some retro fitting.
Wonder if M will be open to trying to find them in the attic this weekend.... :eek:

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Have you discovered Rub n' Buff yet? Someone on here told me about it last year and now I am addicted to the stuff.
It's metallic paste, that you can rub over paint to give a sheen. (Silver, gold, antique gold, etc.) They sell it in Michaels.
You can use it to drybrush over black for a fantastic old gold shimmer.

R.jpg

I painted this mirror frame black and then dry brushed antique gold rub n'buff over it. You don't have to use THIS much. haha Just a light touch would be good. I got carried away. haha But I love this stuff now.

mirror.jpg

Just a suggestion. Passing along from someone on here that passed it along to me... and I am so glad they did!

EDIT: That photo may be a bit dark... here is another right after I finished.

r1.jpg

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's something I just did with the Rub n'Buff. I used less on this than on the mirror. Just caught the raised spots with it.

View attachment 277613
Hilda, the rub-n-buff set off a chain reaction.... I picked up some antique gold (not for this but for the clock I redid) and then fell in love with the metallic lavender/rubnbuff mix I used on it. Ended up doing that on this and it's sooooo perfect. So metallic lavender in the valleys, antique gold highlights and black peeking out between. It's gorgeous IMHO.
image.jpg
The purple is super subtle but adds a richness to it. Here's a closeup so you can see better.
image.jpg

Thanks everyone for the help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts