Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys
got an aweoms little 3M projector but what in the world do i bounce the DVD image off of OUTSIDE in my graveyard? I want i to look like the images are actually in my outdoor graveyard ya know what i mean? (i am certain you guys do ...you all know E V E R Y T H I N G) this is my first year really going for it with a yard haunt i was thinking like that shrink-wrap around some kind of screen door framing or something... but i can't seem to find anything on you tube tutorials etc..... anyone here have any suggestions or can offer some help of some kind? I would love you forever :) lol Thank you !!!!

Stacieloulou

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've tried the window screen mesh and it worked for me. Just note that you can only project from the front and not from the back. Projecting from the back blurs the image. I also found that you have to try not to have anything behind it because the image will show up there and ruin the effect.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Some other potential options for either front or rear projection:

* Black weed netting (haven't tried this myself, but have two rolls--different brands--of it unopened waiting to try some time); purchased cheap from an Ollie's Good Stuff Cheap store
* Translucent shower curtain liner (what I used in the video below to project ghostly footprints onto grass from a second story window)
* A thin white bedsheet; not sure if a thin black bedsheet would work, but something to consider if you have one to spare
* Cheap thin black or white plastic tablecloth from either Dollar Tree or Party City. Someone, somewhere here on the forums, I think, posted a video showing rear projection onto both black and white surfaces

Here are the footsteps projected onto a translucent shower curtain liner from a second story window. Granted, this was with a ~2,500 lumens projector (Digital Galaxy DG-747--the lamp version, *not* the LED version (too dim):

In the end, for my purposes, I projected onto a concrete walkway and that looked best. But if I wanted to project further out into the yard, atop grass, I'd probably create a path using the translucent shower curtain liner.

Hope this helps. Can you give us more details about what you're trying to project, specifically, onto a certain place in your graveyard?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love this forum soooo freaking much you guys are ALWAYS SOOOO HELPFUL!!! THANK YOU ALL!!i am wanting to project those new ghostly apparitions dvd thingies from atmosphere fx into my graveyard ... I will take a daytime vid of the space and post it .... would that help out? god i wish i could have them pop up in like three diff places.... but that would take 3 diff projectors right? and mike... is the LED a dimmer light than the one you used in your awesome (btw) footprints? god i feel like a dumbass for asking all these newbie questions :)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I love this forum soooo freaking much you guys are ALWAYS SOOOO HELPFUL!!! THANK YOU ALL!!i am wanting to project those new ghostly apparitions dvd thingies from atmosphere fx into my graveyard ... I will take a daytime vid of the space and post it .... would that help out? god i wish i could have them pop up in like three diff places.... but that would take 3 diff projectors right? and mike... is the LED a dimmer light than the one you used in your awesome (btw) footprints? god i feel like a dumbass for asking all these newbie questions :)
I've been learning from the Masters here for years. Glad to provide any assistance at all in return. I'm still very much an amateur with projection, but some more expert voices hopefully can chime in.

LED projectors are generally dimmer than traditional "lamp" / "bulb"-based projectors. Then again, LEDs have gotten brighter as the technology improves. But if you're projecting from a short distance, even an LED projector--or a "toy" bulb-based projector can look quite good. I use a $50 el-cheapo Discovery Wonderwall projector with my AtmosfearFX Pumpkin Jamboree DVD. The Wonderwall is not an LED projector, but similarly dim to many of the LED-based models. I hide the projector on the ground in front of the craft pumpkins. Here's an indoor example:

It's a really lousy projector (in terms of both brightness and resolution), but again, works well at short distances.

At about 1 minute into last year's yard haunt video, you can see the pumpkins. Again, think of a black, horizontal rectangle. Whatever fits in that space, you can project. With black space in-between, e.g. the three pumpkin faces come from a single projector:

To get multiple ghosts from the Ghostly Apparitions DVD to appear in different places, you would probably need several projectors. Or some video editing software to set them side by side and appear at different times. Think of projection as one black rectangle, either horizontal or vertical. "Throw" is also a concept to think about--different projectors can project smaller or larger images on a surface placed at the same distance away from the projection surface. AtmosfearFX actually has a pretty nice little video explaining some of the basics like "throw":

Hope they produce more clips like this. Good for their sales and good for the home haunt community as we all learn together. I love the videos AtmosfearFX is producing and the tutorial help they're starting to produce. I think it was very smart of them to partner with Spirit Halloween--really love their projection displays in Spirit Halloween stores this year. Very effective / enticing.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Not sure which model 3m projector you have, but the 3 pico models I looked up, all have low lumens, and image size. So depending on your ambient lighting, and size to make the image big enough to look true to scale, you might not be happy with how it looks. Before you run out and buy material, do a test run on a screen door (if you have one) , or a window screen. If you want multiple areas to have a display, check Amazon for mini projectors. If you want a better projector, while keeping cost down too, eBay has some for cheap. Just look for ones that are used, higher the lumens and resolution the better, and low bulb hours. Obviously you want the best bang for your buck, so get what you can afford. I'm sure if you find one your interested in, you can post up again, and someone will tell you if it's worth it. A better projector will let you do multiple areas with the one unit ( depending on how far apart they are placed and how much yard space you have).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts