Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am planning on building or making a number of hallway sconce lamps to line my hallway for a hotel theme. I would like to wire them to all flicker together, to simulate the look of old bad wiring. I am aware of the concept of using florescent starters and starter sockets, but I have also read warnings that you cannot put more than 40 watts on a single starter.

I would like to run a single power cord from each sconce to the next. I have yet to decide exactly how I am going to run the wire, up to the ceiling, or down to the floor, maybe one on each side, or down one side then across and back on the other.

anyway, I am thinking about doing 6 sconces, but I am not sure what the total wattage is going to end up being.

Give me ideas please! Is there any way to get matching flicker patterns using more than one starter and raising the wattage capacity? Does anyone have any reading on how exactly the florescent starter hack works... I'm somewhat knowledgeable about electricity and electronics, but I don't exactly know the theory behind this trick.

thanks in advance.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Well, I thought I could help you, but I see the device I use to do that can't be ordered for this season. Apparently they are backlogged right now.
HauntMaster Products sells a thing called the "Frite Light Plus". I use it for the lights on my two cemetery columns. It has 6 different settings for different flicker patterns. I love it! It will drive up to 1000 watts.

Fright Lite Plus

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just use a lightening machine. Set it to real sensitive and it will get you the look you want. $15
Quit building and go buy already made lights that you customize for your look. run an extension cord to the lightening machine.... easy cheesy!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just use a lightening machine. Set it to real sensitive and it will get you the look you want. $15
Quit building and go buy already made lights that you customize for your look. run an extension cord to the lightening machine.... easy cheesy!
wow, are you on the correct forum? Quit building and spend more money?

This is not the kind of advice I was expecting from the people on this board...

but thank you very much to the rest of you that have provided informative responses.

I was hoping though that maybe someone could help me out a bit to figure out if putting 2 starter circuits on the same wire would work? Would it support more wattage? Would it blow up? I guess I could always try, but I kind of would like to understand the electrical theory behind it to know for sure.

I think I may try and keep my bulbs to 10w each and try and run 6 off of one starter. If nothing else, I will just bend a little and do each side of the hallway on their own starter circuit.

OOOORRR wait, would the photocell/flicker flame bulb circuit support more wattage? Any ideas behind that? Maybe it depends on the wattage rating of the dimmer switch assembly? If I could get 120w on it stable, that would be fine for me... 20w a bulb.... I'm probably going to use the smaller size bulbs anyway, not the standard lamp bulbs. I need to go to the hardware store and see what kind of kits they have. I'm hoping to find something on clearance or sale or something....

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
You can build one or two of these:
http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutor...installation-fluorescent-starter-sockets.html

but the parts will cost more than the F/X box lightning thingie found here:
Sound Activated Christmas Tree Lights - Novelties - Things for Christmas - Things You Never Knew Existed

I use two of these boxes for lightning. They're very reliable and can handle 500W each. Use a MP3 or CD with the appropriate sound to get the flicker effect you want. DIY is great - I build virtually all my own stuff - but this box is a steal right now and does what you need.

BTW, don't worry about the Xmas tree on the box. It's the same one as with the lightning bolt (the Halloween version); it's just wearing a different shirt.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dont question my passion for building and engineering. Do it when it makes sense. My point was you will spend more money and time designing one from scratch than buying something like a Christmas candelabra set for $3, tearing it down, spray painting it for a cool effect and a little rewiring and then attaching to a very inexpensive effect machine.
Just trying to make life easy on you and save some time and $$. So you can spend it on other cool props...

Have fun and good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ahhh... ok guys, I see your point.

Can anyone suggest any ideas or places to look for cheap candelabra's or something to turn into 6 individual wall sconces? I plan on stringing wire from one to the next so they are all on the same circuit, but aside from that I am pretty flexible.

I also found a site with TONS of information on flickering lights:
Flickering Lights - Practice

anyway, thanks for the help, and the links

1 - 9 of 9 Posts