Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I'm building a pneumatic drop panel with zombie scare / startle effect -- I built the drop panel mechanism and have a frame (inside dimensions 20.5" x 22" ), now I need a picture (poster / portrait / scene) something nondescript... Anyone got ideas or sources?

This is the effect I'm going for, probably won't be able to get the zombie prop to protrude outside of the picture frame as much as I'm showing here, but you get the idea :cool:

Zombie_1.jpg Zombie_2.jpg Zombie_3.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This website has all sorts of posters. Maybe you can find just the right poster for what you are looking for.

It's a very good suggestion. Actually, I was looking at them for a while even before you mentioned it, but since you suggested I went back and continued to browse and you're right, I probably can find something there. Prices for some of the black and white portrait stuff is very reasonable.

Still curious if someone had a go-to source for such things. I will continue to browse. Thanks.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,793 Posts
or go to your local goodwills and check out the really cheapy cheap stuff. I buy all my fancy pants ornate frames from there, and I've found some amazingly bizarre artwork too for a few bucks. Can't hurt to check before dropping more $ anyway!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
You could always get some poster board or foam board and create your own work of art. Acrylic paint will work on both so long as the paint is not too wet. You could also use light coats of spray paint. For something nondescript you could do something that leans in the modern art direction. Anything goes when it comes to most modern art.

There is a gal here who's art work looks like a kid went to town with finger paint. She sells her artwork for big bucks too. Several of her pieces hang in the halls of our local hospital and when I first saw them, I thought how sweet it was for the hospital to hang some of the art work done by some the children patients.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's what I ended up with...
I found on-line a portrait that I liked (Mr. Gracey of the Haunted Mansion) and printed it out on an 11x17 inch paper -- yes, it's smaller than what I wanted, but it works. The Dollar Store has black poster board, so I made a mat and mounted it and put that on my drop panel. here's a few pics of where I'm at right now in the build process

20190915_175540.jpg 20190917_194233.jpg 20190917_194318.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts