Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe I'm all the way down to the wire once again and haven't solved my lighting problem. This happened last year, I decided to just leave the side and front lights on but the house right before me is always unlit, I'm at the end of a street facing a busy street so I think kids just look, don't see much going on once the "blah" neighbors are unlit and they just go back through the rest of the neighborhood instead.

So I wanted to get a colored floodlight. I AM NOT handy with putting together wires and so on. I was thinking either something battery operated, or something with a plug that I could just plug into our outdoor outlet, but it needs to have a colored bulb or colored sheet or whatever. Blue, red, purple, green would all be fine. Maybe even amber...just not anything cheery like bright yellow or white.

I don't have a huge yard. Does anybody know where I can get an inexpensive light or two that matches this description? I was looking on Amazon, not having a lot of luck but I don't know that I'm searching under the right terms...again...I am not handy and don't know any handyman/handywoman terms. :)

Would love any help. Thanks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Right now, landscape lighting is on clearance at stores like home depot and lowes. Look in the lighting sections for standard outdoor electric spotlights, not low voltage, regular plug in type. You can find colored bulbs to fit the spot light probably right in the next aisle.

Also a regular clamp light (work light) with a colored bulb would work too and they're cheap but outside for very long, not sure about that. I use them all the time inside.
Also, when I'm not sure what I need, I just walk in describe what I do and what I want and I want it cheap, I describe it with words and with my hands and someone nice always helps me. :D

Happy Haunting

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buy the colored spotlights to fit them. Home Depot should have them Lowes and Walmart do, too. I have always called them floodlights. They are big bulbs but fit in regular outdoor light stakes. Ask and they will help you. They are not very expensive either.
Thank you. May need to go hit HD tonight before it closes (it's only 7:50 here right now...I think they're open until 9 or 10).

You're right, they're always helpful and nice there.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,587 Posts
Yes, you can get the colored flood light bulbs at Walmart, Home Depot and Menards, for sure. I have recently seen some colors, like blue, in clearance areas. The flood light socket/stakes are sold there, too. I was given a blue flood light bulb as a gift and picked up the socket/stake for it at Menards for super cheap.
(Both found in the lighting section)

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
CaliforniaMelanie, Have you looked into the Gemmy colored spotlights? The colors are vivid and made for outdoors. They are plug in. I bought a few from HD in their Xmas area last year. Might be in your stores now. Came in red, blue and green. All great colors for halloween too. HD has the lights branded for their own line but are made by Gemmy. Lowes also sells them for a few buck cheaper $12something and they are in the Gemmy LED lightshow packaging. If you have a Lowes check out this thread to see what the green spot looks like: http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/144793-lowes-led-spotlight-12-95-a.html

I just got around to adding LED spotlights last year. Had some regular floods, wider spread if you want that color washed look, and the bulbs have been slowly burning out so tried the LEDs. They are worth investing in now as the color is pretty impressive.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Check out some of the Christmas lighting as well for colored LED spotlights - they're sealed units and the LED's themselves are colored, so they won't fade over time (my biggest complaint on PAR38 spotlight bulbs is the colored coating fades and peels - I've actually had the inexpensive one's fade in less then 3 weeks).

eta: D'oh! Ghost of Spookie beat me to it!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,722 Posts

·
Registered
13,654 Posts
If you go the incandescent route be sure you get a base that will seal out water in case you get weather down there. I've had one incandescent flood pop on me. Not sure if the element was just going on me or what. 75 watts is pretty bright btw and you will definitely flood a pretty large area with colored light. For halloween and highlighting tombstones and such I personally prefer the spots now. One thing I like about the LED versions are that you can bump against it and won't break the bulb.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
These lights are quite cool - they add motion...this one kind of gives the impression of fire. One thing I like about them is that they seem to cover a really wide area. They have them in a couple different colours.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/LightShow-Fire-and-Ice-Red-Orange-Spotlight-56777/205832727

One thing though... I don't want to complicate things at all, as I'm sure any lighting you do will be a big improvement. There's no better place to spend your money as far as bang for the buck.

But if you can afford it, I think it's nice to have some contrasting light. (for example if you have one specific prop you'd like to showcase, get maybe a blue light to illuminate the house and a red light to illuminate the prop.) As said, any light will be a huge improvement, but lighting everything with the same colour can sort of make things blend together a little. Here's an example of using different colours.

I don't think you need a ton of lights though, unless you're lighting each item in your yard individually (which is great if you can manage all the cords or whatever). If you're using something like floodlights which cover a huge area, it can be pretty easy to overnight things which can wash them out. We did that for a lot of years, and just taking a couple floodlights away made a big difference.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,090 Posts
Ace hardware has colored LED floodlights. A blue one if you have a cemetery would be ideal wash of color. Oops just saw your post above. Also as gobby g said, sometimes you really can't see anything after you put on the floodlights. Sometimes you have to add a white spotlight to the prop so people can see it.

·
🎃 | )ark ( )verlord 🎃
1,089 Posts
Home depot for sure! They have all your lighting needs. I also like flickering lights for lighting fixtures

1 - 20 of 20 Posts